question SSD Partitioning

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Does it adversely affect the longevity of an SSD to only use a small partition? For example, if the drive is 120GB and has one 20GB partition with the remainder unpartitoned, does the underlying memory cell usage still get evenly distributed over the entire 120GB or does it write over and over to the 20GB?

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Does it adversely affect the longevity of an SSD to only use a small partition? For example, if the drive is 120GB and has one 20GB partition with the remainder unpartitoned, does the underlying memory cell usage still get evenly distributed over the entire 120GB or does it write over and over to the 20GB?

AFAIK it'll distribute over the whole 120GB...

LunarMist

OK, then I won't be concerned for now. Eventually I need to get back the remaining 75% of the space.

LunarMist

I finally got the second new StoneForce drive up and running normally. So far this is the fastest SSD I've had, even more so than the X-25E. The 22xx chipset is better than the ones in the older "Forced" drives. I'm not sure how much speed is lost with the ICH10R compared to 6Gbps, but the LSI 9211-8i is pointless. I bought that almost a year ago in anticipation of the faster drives and for the failed SF-12xx RAID 0 experience. It was a bust for both, though the former is a drive issue. :(