storagereview...where is it going these days?

Handruin

Administrator
I don't mean to be critical of the source we once came from, but where has Eugene been these days? I'd like to see some reviews on the newer drives but they never seem to turn up. The last review was in July (and it wasn't really a review, but a roundup).

I'd also like to see a better format for comparing drives. I've found it hard to find hard drives in their database. Does anyone else feel the same, or have I been missing out on the details?

I don't mean for this to be a bash session by any means. I'd like to know what has happened if anyone is in the know. His last post was August 18th in the forum and even shortly before was a mention for a writeup on the 15K.5.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I have found that their review frequency at the point of being next to worthless. Making the site pointless to visit. I think Eugene has basicly moved on and SR is now just an after-thought now.

Further, the differences between drives is generally not worth dealing with. Performance differences less than 20% are not noticable and virtually all consumer-level drives fall within that 20%. So, I end up buying based on price and percieved reliability, not performance or features. Now server-level drives are signifigently different than consumer but again, the differences between similarly priced server drives are generally not signifigent, so I end up buying based on branding.

I'm sure that the SR forums are still serving a purpose for all those that visit and communicate there at a regular basis; Just like here, for us...

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
About once or twice a year I drop into the forums. Less often than that lately.

I haven't bothered reading a review there or even looking over the reviews index since not long after the great screwball methodology scandal back about ... oh ... was it 5 years ago? A bit before Storage Forum started, whenever that was.

So I guess the summary is: somebody cares?

PS: Mark's points are all valid ones also. I second them.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
A recent post seemed to say that Eugene has moved on to bigger and better things.

Unfortunately, this means that StorageReview is pretty much on autopilot.

Handruin

Administrator
I guess I can accept the point of views on the matter. I haven't purchased a drive that has seemed any different from the rest in a long time. Aside from performance, two other areas that still interest me are the heat and noise of each drive. Those areas will be missed for comparison research. Maybe they still aren't worth fussing over in most cases as it seems like two of you seem to buy whatever has the right price within reason.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Both the Storage Review website and the forums are back up; I'm sure it was a temporary glitch.

Splash

Learning Storage Performance
A recent post seemed to say that Eugene has moved on to bigger and better things. Unfortunately, this means that StorageReview is pretty much on autopilot.

I just visited StorageReview for the first time in aeons (well, since maybe February of this year). About all I can say is that the forums are still pretty active, but the web content is rather stale.

I'm amazed that Eugene and Davin (or anyone) would just abandon a fairly popular website + forum and let it run on autopilot. If they have become so physically / emotionally / financially disintrested in operating it, they should sell the domain name and the website content to someone -- even if it's for pennies on the ¥en.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I think that there's a difference between "abandon" and "put no additional work into."

adriel

Has its uses. Like when I need to buy a new hard drive. From the reviews and forums, it looks like the next hard drive I will get is the 320GB 7200.10. I like to wait until density is enough to achieve 2X current storage on 2 platters maximum.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
A recent post seemed to say that Eugene has moved on to bigger and better things.

Unfortunately, this means that StorageReview is pretty much on autopilot.

Yes but if you read my post after FS's, you'd realize that FS had complained early last Fall about the lack of reviews and turned in his moderator mantle because of that (well the guy have multiple excuses for many issues, and then says I'm a 'psychotic rants' poster, and then 'sivar' or 'Eugene' delete my posts pointing out that). Since FS offered up no concrete evidence for what I'm going to take as speculation, I don't take anything FS says as having any real credibility.

Eugene is viewing the computer forum on a weekly basis now, more than he was last Fall. So what does that tell you?

Why doesn't someone just send Eugene a PM and ask him what's up??? Instead of multiple threads pondering why there are so few reviews. (not that Eugene is the most forthwright person when it comes to those things ;) ).

Explorer

Handruin said:
...His last post was August 18th in the forum and even shortly before was a mention for a writeup on the 15K.5...

Storage Review *finally* did a new hard drive review. This was on the aforementioned 15K.5 -- which began selling in the channel and through retail a couple of weeks ago.