Sudden shutdown

novyan

What is this storage?
I have read the previous thread "Sudden shutdown with Abit NF-7S board/setup" of EdwardK. I have silimar if not the same problem, but mine has not been solved.
Here's happend in my case, My power conditioner fried after an electricity failure. And so the power supply, so I changed with new one. I have never touch the CPU fan, so here is the different to the edwardK's problem. It worked fine with this generic PS until a few days ago it frequently shutingdown for no cause (what I thought). I read another post on other forum saying that it could be the inCD/adaptec CD could trigger this sudden shutdown. I admit that I got a message to update/visit roxio site after I tried to access my old file from my old CDRW. And I have been ignored that for a while actually.
Another simptom is that I heard the fan with a funny noises and changed with a lot better one, and now the problem is it will shutdown only a few second after turning it on.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
shutting down after only a few seconds (literally) sounds like overheating or a "fan off control".

You'll want to make sure you have your CPU fan plugged into the CPU_FAN header on your motherboard and ensure the fan is spinning at atleast the minimum allowewd by your board (usually around 2000rpm).

If you're sure your CPU fan is working correctly, you can try holding down the insert key on the keyboard and then powering on your computer from a cold start.

If the computer starts this way then most likely it is a fan off control problem. You can usually disable this feature from the BIOS.

If you're comfortable with it you might want to remove and reseat your heat sink (have some fresh thermal paste ready). That might also resolve the problem.