Suggestions for Carbus FireWire (or FW/USB combo)

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Key requirement is that it should work in DOS (Ghost, DriveImage, etc.); there are various DOS drivers I've downloaded, but I'm hoping somebody uses Ghost with one of these and is satisfied with the performance/reliability.

I'd much prefer a USB/FW combo card, and would prefer a power option or at least a jack to accept power.

As always, TIA.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I thought Fushigi used a Cardbus card? He's posted on performance with an external drive before....

Nobody else have any suggestions?

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks, Fushigi san. I'll just try my luck then. I've heard some grumbling that the Thinkpad T23 (which I have) does not properly support a combo card (something about inadequate resources), so I'm going to try a FW only card and see what happens. I'll report back here with my findings; might help someone else.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I used a CardBus FW card for a while with my old Athlon4 1GHz lappie. I can't remember the name, it may have been an OrangeMicro one. Only a few of them have an external power input/wall wart. I don't know of any that can provide a 6 pin powered port without the external supply.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks Pradeep. After some research, I've become more modest in my demands. Screw the combo card; if FW works well, that's enough. Screw the wall wart; the devices I'll probably be using will have their own power.

Outpost.com sells a Syba brand 2-port FW Cardbus card based on an NEC chipset for $17. Can't argue with that, can you? Outpost is the online arm of Fly's Electlonics, and I'm going to check to see if the local Fly's Over Here has 'em too. I've done some interesting (for me) benchmarks with my desktop, which I will compare with the Syba or whatever card I end up with. Will eventually post all the details here.