Surveillance Cameras? Anyone using them? Setups?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Recommendations?
Zonet?

Hi I've got the server going 24/7, so I was wondering how you setup a camera, and, what other hardware I would need to for instance, watch the door in my room, or my room.
Also, perhaps a carport camera, since my car seems to be a popular target.

Anyone set these up?

Thanks

GS

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
If you have the budget, IP based devices that can run on Power on Ethernet are the most flexible option, no need to worry about standalone AC power supply.

Ones I've seen come with DVR software for your PC, more advanced models can be set to watch for and trigger only on certain areas, of course if capacity is large you can record all the time.

Get a pan/tilt dome camera and a joystick and you have the ultimate in surveillance. MPEG4 HD cameras can get you a nice sharp image of the filthy criminals, to provide to the police. Shame you don't live in a state where you have no duty to retreat before using lethal force.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I've had good luck with Axis cameras. They might be overkill for what you mentioned though. They make their own recording software or you can use your own (there are several, including free, software packages for grabbing images from any IP based camera).