Swapping Laptops

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I found one that looks to be the right kind. There is only one way to know for sure, so I ordered it. Somehow an adapter seems too good to be true. We shall see.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I'm sure it will work fine. I just find it funny that those HDD caddy's have DVD and CDRW symbols on them.

LunarMist

I probably will not use the caddy itself, but will pull out the bridge board instead.

However, I am less than optimistic overall since the transformation is from ICH SATA->IDE->SATA. It's plain stupid that manufacturers used IDE optical drives for so long.

LunarMist

And now back to this space oddity...

So which two 640GB drives do you think are crammed into the wee beastie? :D

LunarMist

The bridge board is limiting the transfer rate on the second drive, probably at ATA-100, but it is not of practical consequence.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Well 80 sure isn't bad on a laptop, but anyway it's there and working right?

LunarMist

Well, it was working and then I killed one of the Seagate 640GB drives somehow. :( I only bought three of the Seagates in 9/08 and one is 1200 miles off in the twin. So I got two 640GB Toshiba external drives and ripped one out for use in the modified notebook, the results of which are shown above. I ran full data integrity testing and there are no problems with the bridge. I'm still testing the other Toshiba 640. I may decide to use it as the boot drive. Transfer rates are a bit slower, but seek times are better and it is very smooth and quiet compared to the Seagate.

LunarMist

Here it is connected to a real computer. It is not that much faster.

LunarMist

I don't know what happened up there. Anyhow, the Toshiba is not so good as the boot drive. I'll use it in a PSD. It is time to move on.

LunarMist

Done - for now. 1.4TB is not bad for a 2.9 lbs notebook.:D

LunarMist

I keep another copy on a PSD in the other handbag and one in the luggage. Is 4 copies good enough? ;)

LunarMist

Who knows if I will hang on long enough to make it. I am ready in the laptop dept.