Tablet Data

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
How can I determine the tablet WiFi usage in GB? It does not see to be listed anywhere. Thanks.

ddrueding

Fixture
Not sure if it has one.

Mine (ASUS Transformer, just updated to 4.03) has an item called "data usage" in the settings menu, but I think it is only for cellular data. If I wanted to check WiFi usage (not sure why) I would pull the data from my router by MAC address.

LunarMist

I want to figure out my usage if I decide to get a tablet with cellural data plan.

ddrueding

Fixture
Does your router support bandwidth usage reporting? Mine is a bit more advanced than many need; I use a computer running Smoothwall. But I suspect that many of the aftermarket firmwares for normal routers support it as well.

You could also start at a small plan and monitor usage after the fact; the carriers didn't used to mind upgrading you to a more expensive plan mid-month (but they did complain about downgrading).

LunarMist

I doubt it. The wireless is a linked in from the local store. I can't even figure out how to get the tablet on 5GhZ. It always goes for the 2.4.

LunarMist

Thanks. I'm running that one and several others now. For some reason the amounts are sometimes different. Perhaps the definition of "today" varies.

LunarMist

It looks like 50-75GB/day in basic browsing. Obviously usage would much higher when viewing some videos. I suppose a 4GB plan could be enough.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
It looks like 50-75GB/day in basic browsing. Obviously usage would much higher when viewing some videos. I suppose a 4GB plan could be enough.

75GB x 31 days (worst case scenario) = 2.325TB. :-o

But seriously, how do you get from <=2.3GB to 4GB? The average is actually 1.9GB BTW.

Also, try Opera Mini (or Opera Mobile with Turbo enabled for WiFi) and see how much difference it makes. I'd expect it to reduce to 1GB or possibly even 500MB.

LunarMist

That first part should be in MB. :doh: What I mean is that if I used a tablet to watch a few videos, the amount would be well over the 2GB.
No matter how I calculate the economics are not so great.