TapaTalk

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Is it difficult to setup SF to work with the mobile app. TapaTalk?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
H forums refuses to load it citing security concerns, and they have had a couple breaches so it is a real concern there. I also don't like the extra garbage the thing seems to add to every post you make, spamming "posted with xyz" etc.

Personally I think the forums there and here look good in mobile safari on my phone, I don't miss it.

Handruin

Administrator
I looked into this a bit but never mentioned it because of cost and time. The other option besides TapaTalk (and the security concerns that MaxBurn mentioned) is for me to purchase a license for the vbulletin mobile platform which supports iPhone and Android phones. The problems are that, one, it's costly, two I would need to develop the app based on our forum which means I'd need to either have a Mac, or a contrived VM version running their OS in order to get an iPhone variant created (android I could do right now), three, it's still somewhat immature and problematic in some cases. I've been using it for the AVSForums app and it does work fairly well on iOS. I have had no exposure to the Android version though, so I can't comment there.

If people felt it would be worthwhile enough to explore, maybe it could be a group-purchased solution?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Personally I think SF is perfectly usable on my phone as it is, but if we're talking about improving the site, I can kick in some cash for that as well.

Handruin

Administrator
I need to look into it more to make sure it's actually improving the experience here before throwing any money at it.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I've had no issues just using the regular Android browser to navigate this site. If you need a donation towards general running costs tho let me know I am happy to donate. Thanks for the hard work as always.

Handruin

Administrator
The standalone mobile suite for vbulletin is $199 USD. vbulletin claims it supports our older version of the forum 3.8.x and the newer version. In order for an iPhone app to be available, it will need to be compiled and added to the iPhone app store. The approval process can take up to 6 weeks. This means I would also need Mac OS running somewhere in order to get their app working. Last time I attempted a VM-based Mac OS, I couldn't get it working reliably.

Android app doesn't have a lot of information, but I suspect I have the necessary means to get that one working since it's likely built in Java. I don't know where the app would be stored...like in an app store or a direct download from our website.

They have some example apps here that I haven't tried yet.
https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/sho...lletin-iPhone-mobile-app-running-on-your-site

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I don't understand, why would they need to post a new app to the store? There are already several forum reader apps out there that work on multiple forums, and you basically have to install the forum plugin. Last time I investigated this I was looking for one mobile forum app that covered all the forums I frequent and was pretty close with several. Can't remember which they were though but tapa had to be one.

Is anyone having problems viewing the site on their mobile device? Tried the iphone style choice in the lower left side? Even if it isn't an iphone it simplifies the site and I would think works in all browsers.

Just not a strong supporter of applification for web sites personally.

What does it cost to get the forum up to the current version?

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
As far as I'm concerned the mobi style is near perfect for use on an iPhone and more usable than the iPhone specific theme though it has been a while since I last tried it. But I also haven't tried Tapatalk.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I don't understand, why would they need to post a new app to the store? There are already several forum reader apps out there that work on multiple forums, and you basically have to install the forum plugin.

I suspect you found what I found, that there were more apps available for phpBB. vBulletin does not produce a generic app for use on even multiple vB boards. You have to build the app for your board and then publish it in the Store.

I did find only one generic app that will work with vB but it will only work version 4 of the software. It may also work with the mobile suite but that is not advertised.

What does it cost to get the forum up to the current version?

I've forgotten too.

Maybe we should start a few threads to outline what it is we wish we could do. I think that would go a long way towards pointing us in the right direction. I'll start one for the iPhone.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I did find only one generic app that will work with vB but it will only work version 4 of the software. It may also work with the mobile suite but that is not advertised.

I meant to specify I was talking about Forum Runner. I don't actually use it, just found it.

Handruin

Administrator
The mobile suite would still be an additional purchase. They offer a bundle of them together for $379 basically saving $20. I'd worry that if we upgraded to version 4, everyone would be unhappy with the changes in the new version in terms of formatting.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I'd worry that if we upgraded to version 4, everyone would be unhappy with the changes in the new version in terms of formatting.

Have they given an example site? I don't understand the concern on the formatting, you are saying they made is worse somehow?