Techie Rants

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I can definitely relate to some of those stories having repaired electronics for the last 15 years, and having sometimes dealt with customers whose shoe size is larger than their IQ. Maybe one of these days I'll start my own website with some of my tales, including some really stupid things I've done occasionally.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Those stories just bought to mind one of my favorite pet peeves-namely people who don't know how to properly handle electronics. Not just customer returns, but I've seen auctions on eBay where they take a picture of a M/B, processor, RAM, or card on a carpet. Once I see that, I completely lose any urge to bid on the item in question. Static electricity is a big killer of electronics. Even worse, sometimes the item in question will work for some months or more, and then just go. And don't even get me strated on people who ship a hard drive in a small priority mail envelope. Yes, I actually got one of those. The drive was sold as non-working, and I bought it for $1 just to play with. Needless to say, the shipping method didn't exactly enhance my chances of repair. If I had paid for a working drive, it would have went straight back whether it was still working or not.