Tesla doomed

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Tesla purchased SolarCity for $2.6 billion at the end of 2016. Solarcity was the largest manufacturer and installer of solar panels in the US. Musk was the largest shareholder of Solarcity prior to the deal. Apparently they are focusing on "solar tiles" that look like regular shingles from the ground.

Tesla is trying to increase production of its mass market Model 3 series, which sell for much less that the previous Model X and Model S. They also announced their tractor trailer solution recently to available in a year or two.

Their eventual plan is Solarcity solar roof charging a Powerwall home battery unit and your Tesla car.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Tesla purchased SolarCity for $2.6 billion at the end of 2016. Solarcity was the largest manufacturer and installer of solar panels in the US. Musk was the largest shareholder of Solarcity prior to the deal. Apparently they are focusing on "solar tiles" that look like regular shingles from the ground.

Tesla is trying to increase production of its mass market Model 3 series, which sell for much less that the previous Model X and Model S. They also announced their tractor trailer solution recently to available in a year or two.

Their eventual plan is Solarcity solar roof charging a Powerwall home battery unit and your Tesla car.

That Model 3 looks a bit small, like a mid-sized rather than full-sized car. I'd rather be able to buy an full-sized electric Buick (or some normal car ~195-200 inches long) and plug it in since I expect a couple of relocations. Is there some technology that prevents other brands from charging?

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
That Model 3 looks a bit small, like a mid-sized rather than full-sized car. I'd rather be able to buy an full-sized electric Buick (or some normal car ~195-200 inches long) and plug it in since I expect a couple of relocations.
I believe that they call that the Model S....

LunarMist

What is the point of that? There is so much space junk that they don't need any more.

Stereodude

Not really a
What is the point of that? There is so much space junk that they don't need any more.
They needed payload for the Falcon Heavy test, so they used a Telsa Roadster for the lulz.

As for space junk... It's not in low Earth orbit. It's being put in an Eliptical orbit of the Sun where it supposedly will orbit for about a billion years. So, no real issue with space junk.

LunarMist

They needed payload for the Falcon Heavy test, so they used a Telsa Roadster for the lulz.

As for space junk... It's not in low Earth orbit. It's being put in an Eliptical orbit of the Sun where it supposedly will orbit for about a billion years. So, no real issue with space junk.

What about the fluids and leakage/outgassing, etc.?

LunarMist

Who cares about that? I mean the potential problems with volatiles messing something up. Maybe the driver can't see out the windows. :lol:

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Lunar, its a plug in battery vehicle so presumably no volatiles.not sure how they dealt with the battery pack and associated liquid cooling.

Striker

Learning Storage Performance
It doesn't really matter, it isn't sticking around here. It is already out in uncrowded space.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
They got more performance out of the second stage than expected.

That's a good thing.

Stereodude

Not really a
They got more performance out of the second stage than expected.

That's a good thing.
Only if they were doing a "lets run this flat out and see what happens" test. If they had a planned precision burn and got more than expected, it's not.

LunarMist

Only if they were doing a "lets run this flat out and see what happens" test. If they had a planned precision burn and got more than expected, it's not.

Obviously it was not so well controlled. I'm not so sure that 27 small engines will be reliable in the long run.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I guess it is, then.

The third burn was planned to run the fuel out. They had a lot to spare.