The Other Shoe Drops: Adaptec SATA RAID

.Nut

Learning Storage Performance
  • MILPITAS, Calif., March 18, 2003 - Adaptec, Inc. (Nasdaq: ADPT), the global leader in data storage access solutions, today announced a broad Serial ATA (SATA) product family including motherboard solutions and zero-channel, 2-, 4-, 8-, 12- and 16-port add-in RAID cards that deliver Adaptec's proven data protection technology combined with SATA price-per-megabyte performance for desktop PCs, workstations, entry-level and midrange servers and external storage appliances...

...The Adaptec Serial ATA RAID 1210SA will begin shipping to resellers and major distributors later this month at a manufacturers suggested retail price (MSRP) of $75...

The FULL article:

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/co...lish+US&pressCat=/Home+Page&prodkey=03182003a

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
somehow i expect it to be comparable to their current ATA /ATA RAID products, the only difference being that it has a SATA interface.

I haven't researched it, this is just my gut feeling. Better than bottom of the barrell at the premium price that adaptec is known for

Platform

Learning Storage Performance
blakerwry said:
somehow i expect it to be comparable to their current ATA /ATA RAID products, the only difference being that it has a SATA interface.

I haven't researched it, this is just my gut feeling. Better than bottom of the barrell at the premium price that adaptec is known for

Native SATA is quite RAID friendly compared to typical parallel ATA.

A Word From The Wise: If you need to build a parallel ATA RAID array, you should only use IBM's GXP series hard drives. Even with the best ATA RAID controller, using other ATA hard drives is major crap shoot that you'll *very* likely lose.