The perfect notebook

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
(My thanks to Tea for her help preparing this post.)

Here is the notebook I'd rush out and buy tommorow. It won't suit everyone, of course, but it would be perfect for my needs.

Screen: At least 17 inch, standard shape - i.e., same proportions as a 17 inch desktop LCD. None of this wide, shallow so-called "widescreen" crap that is only good for watching DVDs on, less useful than a standard 15 inch screen for actual work. They should call them "shallowscreen". They are crap. Actually, I'd be happy to go up to 19 inch, but the power consumption might get a bit much. Probably 1400x resolution, but I'd consider 1600. Certainly at least 1280.

Ports: At least 4 USB ports, plus Firewire. And all the normal things, naturallly, such as docking station connector, VGA out, ethernet & etc.

Storage: room for at least two standard notebook drives, plus DVDR. Actually, in a 17 inch or 19 inch form, it shouldn't be difficult to leave room for more than two 2.5 inch drives, but I guess LM and I would be the only ones who would use that many, and LM wouldn't because he wouldn't want a notebook this big. Storage is the big problem I have with my current notebook. Why not room for 4 drives?

CPU: Who cares, as long as it's decent. Fastest available Pentium-M would do, or a low-power Athlon 64 if they have the power consumption down far enough yet. Absolutely not a Pentium 4, they are too slow, don't multi-task, and suck too much juice.

Power: Really generous battery space. (Again, you can do this with a 17 to 19 inch fom factor - you have plenty of space. It might be sensible to have it ship with a 4 hour battery, but have room for an optional second battery to double the life, and also allow hot swaps.

Charger: 12-volt native. No need for an inverter if you are running it of a 12v car system, just plug it into the lighter socket.

Pointing device: Not sure. IBM give you both a pad and a joy nipple, but in the end there is no substitute for an external pointer, usually a trackball because mice are suspect in out-of-the-office locations.

Keyboard: No stupid "windows" keys! Arrow keys and insert-home-page up etc in the standard positions. Don''t care about the numpad (but others will). No putting important keys (like DEL) in stupid places where you can't find them! (Are you listening, Toshiba?)

Badge: No putting the maker's name on the lid upside-down just so that posers on the train seat opposite you can read what brand it is. It's my notebook that I bought with my money, and if they are going to put the maker's name on it, then I want it the right way up!

Light: Keyboard light just like the one that all IBM Thinkpads already have. Why don't all notebook makers do this?

Build quality: Goes without saying. At least as robust as curent model IBM units. (Are you listening, Lenovo? Don't screw up!)

Switches: Think outside the square! Current model notebook switches suck. My IBM is less sucky than most, but let's look at how bad it is. It has 5 buttons, two large, three small. Power (useful but wrong - see below), "access IBM" (totally and utterly useless) and three small ones for speaker volume up, down, and mute (these are handy). Let's do it right: keep the speaker buttons, steal Fujitsu's excellent idea of having a hardware switch to disable wireless networking (why doesn't everyone do this?) and get the power on/power off/standby on/hibernate on/ standby off/hibernate off switch working sensibly. I've lost count of the number of times I've switched my (IBM and Toshiba) notebooks off when I was actually trying to get them to wake up from standby/hibernate. The ergonomics of having one switch to do six different things, at least one of them totally destructive of any work you have in progress doesn't bear thinking about. Easy method: have two switches: one never switches things off, it's the power-on or wake-up button. The other switches things off, not on. Better yet, we place the power switches somewhere on the outside of the notebook, so that you can switch it on and have it already starting up by the time you plug stuff in and open the lid. It bugs me that you have to open everything up before you can start most notebooks.

Weight: Don't care.

Cost: Don't care. At least not within reason.

Add-on shell: for power users, you have a clip-on shell, like an extra layer that attaches to the base of the unit (think conformal fuel tanks for aircraft) and contains useful extras for people who need desktop-like power: extra batteries, more storage, better speakers, an imaginative manufacturer could think of a million different things to clip in there, and make a fortune selling them. Or throw the standard open to get 3rd-party makers offering stuff.

Catch: put the lid-open catch in the centre where 9 people out of ten look for it. Notice that by doing this you cut warranty claims, as you are encouraging people to open the thing from the centre as it should be opened, not from one side - that puts a massive asymetric strain on the hinges.

RAM: Whatever. Start with 1GB, go up from there.

Video: I'd prefer that it wasn't a bug-ridden lump of pox ATI thing, but I'll take what I can get. Don't really care as long as it works. The Intel on-board video on my Toshiba was fine. Better, in fact, than the 64MB ATI card in my Thinkpad, insofar as the drivers actually worked reliably straight out of the box, not only on the 17th update. DVI out would be nice.

Docking station: of course.

What have I forgotten?

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Tony, you certainly have a full list. But as I see it, the problem is not that OEMs aren't manufacturing the notebook that you would drool over -- instead, the issue is that resellers like us aren't able to assemble our own notebook like we do every other system! Imagine a standard notebook case, with all off-the-shelf components! Alas, we're left with dreams and the lousy notebooks we have.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Don't they call these luggables? You're not exactly going to get all of that stuff in a notebook form factor.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Bozo said:
Kinda like looking for the perfect woman...... :wink:

Yes. One that will haul around your huge notebook and maybe a 600/4. :mrgrn:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
OK, a more serious response.

Laptops are absolutely not one-size-fits-all, and my needs and Tannin's are vastly different. But here's my list of features.

1. Mass. As little of it as is possible for full functionality. I can't understand people who buy six or eight pound notebooks at all. Buy three desktops instead, 'cause in combination, that would probably be cheaper. 8lbs. is about all I'm willing to tolerant for laptop + 2nd battery + AC adaptor.

2. Storage. Yes. Lots. There's no end to the list of things I'd like to carry around on my laptop. In my case, the need isn't so much the constant addition of files as the staggering amount of static material I'd like to have on hand. Support for a swappable second drive or battery bay is a HUGE plus. Give me an internal and an option for a modular drive bay. A notebook with four drives is going to weigh too much.

3. Display. Personally, I don't give a damn, as long as it'll do 1024x768 when it's not attached to a real monitor. You people who want 16x12 on a notebook screen are insane. I'd put an upper bound on size at 15". A notebook that's substantially larger than a sheet of loose-leaf paper is going to be too damned bulky. TV out is good, though.

4. Input/Output. Touchpads piss me off. I need a fullsize keyboard without any particularly annoying key placement. I don't care if Windows keys are there, as long as I don't have to hit Fn to use an F-key. A couple USB and a PS/2 port are all I need. I like having a firewire port, too.

IBM does the UltraBase system, which is the best thing ever as far as I'm concerned. It's a full port replicator that adds a second battery and another drive bay. It doubles the weight of my laptop, so I almost never carry it, but I could, and that makes me happy.

5. Environmental Issues. Most of my desktop PCs (with 6 or 7 hard drives!) aren't as loud as some of the larger notebooks I've handled. Those machines will be SAD in two years when the crappy little 40mm fans in them start to die. I also want a laptop I can balance on my lap or across my belly without hurting myself. My loins are warm enough on their own, thank you.

6. Battery life. If I can get two and a half hours out of a laptop, I'm OK with that. Not to keep picking on the useless desktop replacement class laptop, but the really ridiculous models can have battery life of under a half hour. Modular second batteries are good.

7. Chassis concerns. I should not be able to flick keys off the keyboard in the course of normal typing (coughToshibacough). I should not need the One True Screwdriver to get to anything replaceable. A few drops of tasty beverage should not be cause for concern (I killed an HP laptop once with the condensation off a can of Sprite on a hot day).

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
You REALLY ought to look at the Panasonic line of Toughbooks. They are just wonderful, and they don't have the stupid little pencil eraser, like IBM...

Plus, Mercutio, they sort of match you designs, and, they do all kinds of things you wouldn't expect.

The small one, my CF-37 fits the small side, and, the CF-51 is great for no size limit, huge battery capacity, changeable hard drives, and great out graphics.

What that, and the Lombard, really need to be fast, is a decent hard drive like the Hitachi Travelstar, or, the new Seagate 7200's...

gs

LunarMist

Reagrdles of the type of notebook desired , the sistuation seems practiucally ghopeless. Event eh larger ones all have sone serious limitationms. Whao are these notebbooks designed for>` - not me or the Tonys eithetr. :(

LunarMist

i said:
Yeesh. Why so complicated and expensive? To see an example of "the perfect notebook", look no further.

Arr! very funny. But will that process 10-25GB or RAw files per day for some weeks in a tent in the Serentgheti or in kalahari? I ma not think so. :)

Adcadet

Storage Freak
I used to think along the lines of Tannin: a notebook should be fast, powerful, and weight is secondary. Who cares if it's 6 pounds or 8. I'm a big guy, I lug around tons of stuff anyway.

Well, then I realized what a difference even a pound makes. For me, small is beautiful. I don't use a laptop as a desktop replacement, and I put a premium on size. My D600 wasn't as fast as my 8000, but it was smaller and lighter. Guess which one I carried around with me. Even when I thought the extra speed and screen real estate would be nice, I still went with the D600. Not once did I carry the 8000 over the D600.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Stupid ape.

Err ... as I was saying before I was so rudely pre-empted by a walking argument for the benefits of negative biodiversity growth ....

I really don't particularly care about the weight, so long as I can cary it in one hand. Anything under 10kg (22lbs) would be fine. Carrying it just ain't an issue.

The longest trips my laptop makes, as a rule, are from living room to car, car to office, office to car, and car to motel room. Aside from the daily commute (where it just sits on the passenger seat between home and office) the main other use is on photography trips, where it typically only travels three or four metres away from the car. (I throw my swag down right beside the car. If rain looks likely, I'll pitch a tent.)

Travelling with a desktop just isn't possible. Not to use in the field. But my laptop does a desktop-sized job.

PS: those "desktop replacements" that run mega-hot P4 chips instead of a Pentium M are indeed a joke, Merc. I honestly don't know why anybody ever bothers buying them. I mean, what's the point? It's not as if they actually do anything particularly quickly. No so as anyone would notice. And they cost a fortune. I don't mind spending the money if it actually does something, but what is their point?

Now give me one of those with an Athlon 64 and a half-decent hard drive, and maybe I'll change my mind. Needs decent battery life though.

Mercutio

Tannin, you could get away with a Shuttle box. That's in your weight range. At that point, you aren't even talking about a notebook any more.

Mercutio

I had the opportunity, yesterday, to work on a Dell XPS laptop. Two inches thick and 10lbs. if an ounce, unusually dim screen for a Dell, it was the hottest and loudest notebook I've ever seen. Oh, and no modular features, either.

For the life of me I can't see the point in something like that. It was a top-of-the-line model (P4 3.4GHz, 1GB RAM, nvidia 6800, 9 cell battery that lasted MAYBE an hour). I'm guessing it was $3500, new. All I could think was that the person who bought that could've gotten a desktop for every single place he might want to play PC games... and why else buy a laptop with an nvidia 6800 graphics chip?

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
But it runs on mains power, doesn't it? (The Shuttle thing.) I need to be able to run on batteries. Yes, I have an inverter and a dual battery rig in my car, but there are sensible limits to such things. Also, I can't see carrying a Shuttle box around from home to work and back every day. Since I've got used to the convenience of havoing just one PC that contains everything I'm half-way through working on, I don't ever want to go back.