The things I loved when I was kid...

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
In no particular order;

- Little league tryouts...

- Watching it snow at night through my bedroom window, hoping they would cancel school the next day...

- Riding my Bike...

- Running through the woods to play with my friends...

- Building rafts out of driftwood to float on the creek...

- Swinging as high as I could on a swing set...

- The last day of school each year...

- Christmas...

Care to share yours?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Sunsets over the cornfield, framed by trees out my west-facing bedroom window.

Legos.

My cats. Growing up I had three. One a kitten I stopped to pet on the way home from my first day as a second-grader. She followed me home and sat outside my bedroom and cried for three months until my parents finally decided to bring her in.

Stephanie, who was alphabetically right before me at school, and who let me play with her hair.

Falling asleep to the sound of trucks on i-74 and freight-trains just passing through.

The wood-pile in my neighbor's horse pasture. A mighty fortress indeed.

My DOS 2.1 boot disk (which let me play games on our first PC). I have that disk in a frame. I'm not kidding.

Marvel comics.

The Royal Black Watch. They performed an exhibition in Urbana when I was a little kid and it was cool.

Mom's upright piano. The one I learned on.

The sky parlour in my friend Robby's delapidated old Victorian home.

Norm, the town grocer who gave a little piece of candy to the kids whose parents sent them over for milk or eggs.

The Maxfield Parrish print of "The Garden of Allah" my aunt gave me. It just looks like a world I'd want to live in.

The cassette tape I bought at a truck stop of "Tchaikovsky's Greatest Hits" when was eight.

Granny's stately home in a decaying neighborhood.

Corn-cob fights after the plows went in.

Snow drifting over the roof of our house.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Thanks Merc,

How could I have forgotten Comic Books? Superman - Awesome!

James

Storage is cool
Lego definitely!

The way that there's a time around sunset when you feel like you can run forever without getting tired.

Playing hide and seek.

Sitting on top of a heating vent when it was really cold outside, reading.

Building trenches and dams in the earth, then running water through the system to see if it all worked properly.

The first few steps on the beach after you take your shoes and socks off. Conversely, isn't it a pain when you have to put your shoes and socks back on afterwards?

English class at school. But also the last day for the school year!

Snowball fights in the garden. Snow generally.

Taking plane flights somewhere - and by extension, going out to the airport was quite a thrill. I still love to travel. (I've got SYD - LAX - MIA - ORD - BOS - YHZ - BOS - LAX - SYD coming up in a week or so, yay!)

My dad coming home after work.

Model railways.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
- Watching it snow at night through my bedroom window, hoping they would cancel school the next day...
Yes! And when the Blizzard of '78 hit, wow! Our house's front yard sloped down to the parking area, but the snow sloped UP!
- Swinging as high as I could on a swing set...
Again, yes! But during the summer between 3rd & 4th grade I got too high, fell out, and broke my arm. That sucked but it did get me out of gym class for a while & taught me to be psuedo-ambidextrous.
Yes, and to a lesser extent Lincoln Logs & Erector Sets.
- My cats. Growing up I had three. One a kitten I stopped to pet on the way home from my first day as a second-grader. She followed me home and sat outside my bedroom and cried for three months until my parents finally decided to bring her in.
Ditto and an almost exact ditto on the story as well. Coming home from my newspaper route one morning, I was drinking some milk*. Saw a kitten and poured it a puddle to drink. It followed me home and we adopted it. Leo was his name. He was a tabby & an alley cat. He loved to torment the neighborhood German Shepard. We also had a Himilayan.
- Falling asleep to the sound of trucks on i-74 and freight-trains just passing through.
Ok, Merc, that means you didn't grow up in Griffith. I lived in Crawfordsville for two years as a teen; otherwise it was Indy all the way. Where are you originally from?

Now, my additions:

- Sitting on the porch, reading books. Especially when it was raining. I loved to be outside in the rain. During high school I added a shortwave radio & listened to conversations from around the world.

- Hot Wheels & Matchbox cars.

- Building igloos & snow forts in winter, then having snowball fights with the other forts.

- Watching the trees after an ice storm. How beautiful they were, even though the ice is destructive.

- Monkey bars / jungle gyms.

- 45 RPM records & AM radio. Hey, it was the 70s!

- Playing army. Usually with about 10 kids and we used the whole subdivision as our battlefield.

- Fireworks in June & early July, especially the illegal ones we always seemed to get our hands on.

- *Steve the Milkman. As mentioned above, I had a paper route. The quickest way to get to the area was to cut through the back of a grocery store. At that early hour, the delivery trucks were making their rounds. I became friends with the milk man, who of course was friends with the other delivery people. I helped him unload about 1/3rd of a semi-truck full of dairy stuff, which made his route smoother. In exchange, he gave me 'free' dairy products, OJ, Hostess snacks, and other goodies.

--------------
- Fushigi

Mercutio

Fithian, Illinois. About 20 miles east of Urbana. My house was across a mile of cornfields from 74, and when peeople broke down along the little stretch of town they'd invariably walk through the fields and ask to use our phone.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Watching it snow at night through my bedroom window, hoping they would cancel school the next day

They never did though, did they? :cry:

Hot Wheels & Matchbox cars

Those matchbox ones were amazing weren't they. You and all your friends could throw them out of the window, step on them, set fire to them (yes I did) and they still worked. The HotWheels ones that you could put in warm water and they turned red, cold water and they turned blue were very cool but IIRC the paint used to chip off easily.

Mercutio

During my childhood I remember a cold autumn night when my father got a phone call, then rushed out the door in his dress white Navy uniform.

He came back with tears streaming down his face many hours later - having been summoned to deliver the US flag and a note of condolence to the family of a Marine killed in Beirut.

There are, apparently rules about when such information can be delivered, and by protocol he found himself sitting out in his car for nearly an hour, waiting at the curb of the young man's home, the soldier's wife crying at the door.

He said he held it in until he completed his duty.

So that morning was the only time I saw my father cry and in that moment I saw a hero.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Great story Mercutio.

Rocco - On occasion they did. If the storm was bad enough for up to a week! Yeehaaawwww!

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
On occasion they did. If the storm was bad enough for up to a week! Yeehaaawwww!

With me, not once. I remember several times the schoolbus got stuck in snow, broke down or whatever but we always ended up reaching school (albeit late). Anyway, that was in Greece and you almost never get more than 5 inches of snow over there, except for this past Christmas when there was enough to disable the entire country including airports and the like. It was around 6ft deep. (yes, 6ft is enough to disable those lazy Greeks :mrgrn: )

www.rotting-energy.net/Forums/PIC00011.jpg

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Wow, I would think 6' would be enough to shut down school anywhere!

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
By the way I forgot:

- tree climbing, climbing a tall tree, getting comfortably seated and just watching all I could see from up there.

Handruin

Administrator
Am I the only one who can say, I enjoyed snow days? Hell, it's June and it's still cold here, although today it was warm.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Oh no I loved snow days when school would be cancelled. The only hard part was all the coats, boots, mittens etc. my Mom made my brother, sister and me put on before leaving the house to play in the snow.

Mercutio

You don't know snow until you have fields full of snow fences in which to build your forts.

But better than snowdays were the great thunderstorms (and yes, the excitement of a tornado) rolling through the farmland. Central Illinois might not big "big sky country" but it certainly was big enough. Sometimes they'd roll for days. Living at the Southern tip of Lake Michigan, it almost never thunderstorms here - it blows out over the water. I miss it fiercely.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Wow, I would think 6' would be enough to shut down school anywhere!

Oh they closed when the 6 feet came. Everything closed. The place was like a bomb hit it. Robbers went on a rampage (in a country with almost no crime) because the police didn't have any proper vehicles to get to the scene in :mrgrn:

But the anyway it was Christmas so schools were closed anyway. I bet the kids were cursing their luck. "damn, couldn't it have waited till next week when we start again?"

But we never got more than 5 inches when I was at school.