The Who bass player dead

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
John Entwhistle was a true master of his instrument. I have one of his solo albums somewhere about the place, besides the inevitable Who ones. Live at Leeds is my favourite.

A nit-pick perhaps, but I was saddened to see the BBC trying to show just how important the Who were by highlighting the fact that they recently shared the stage with three relative pigmies. "The reverence given to the group by contemporary rock stars was proved when they were joined on stage for their last gig by Paul Weller, Noel Gallagher from Oasis and Bryan Adams." No disrespect intended, but as if anyone will remember those guys once the Who are forgotten.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
They were supposed to start their tour tomorrow in Las Vegas. Anyone know if they are going to tour at all this summer?

time

Storage? I am Storage!
John Entwhistle was a huge part of their sound. It's difficult to imagine anyone else filling those shoes.

IMHO, one of the greatest electric bass players the world has ever seen. In another discussion, we were muttering about rhythm guitarists. The Who didn't need one. They had John Entwhistle. He even used his instrument as a lead guitar, complete with howling distortion.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I listened the The Who - Who's Next? a couple times tonight...kinda my own little memorial service. Think I will listen to Quadrophenia in a bit.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
time said:
John Entwhistle was a huge part of their sound. It's difficult to imagine anyone else filling those shoes.

IMHO, one of the greatest electric bass players the world has ever seen. In another discussion, we were muttering about rhythm guitarists. The Who didn't need one. They had John Entwhistle. He even used his instrument as a lead guitar, complete with howling distortion.

In the book of my Who box set, a story is recounted:

Entwistle recalls with affection the first date Moon palyed with the band. He turned up with a length of rope and began lashing his bass drums to two pillars. "I need it," explained Moon mysteriously.
Halfway through the gig the mains went. The instruction "drum solo" was passed out and Moon began attacking his drums with such fervour that they rocked dangerously from side to side and bounced off the floor. The rope was explained. The final nugget was added to the alchemy that became The Who.

If Entwistle had not held down the rhythm, there was no one else to do it. To hear descriptions of a show, it seems as though the other three members orbited around the anchor that was John Entwistle.

.Nut

Learning Storage Performance
Tea said:
...A nit-pick perhaps, but I was saddened to see the BBC trying to show just how important the Who were by highlighting the fact that they recently shared the stage with three relative pigmies. "The reverence given to the group by contemporary rock stars was proved when they were joined on stage for their last gig by Paul Weller, Noel Gallagher from Oasis and Bryan Adams." No disrespect intended, but as if anyone will remember those guys once the Who are forgotten.

I could see Paul Weller, maybe -- since his old band The Jam were more or less The Who knockoffs to a certain extent -- but I see no worth in Mr. Oasis and the god-awful Bryan Adams doing something onstage with The Who. ...unless The Who were trying to "Sell Out" (OK, puns aside now).

time

Storage? I am Storage!
By sheer coincidence, I stumbled across that specific concert on cable the other night. Paul Weller was pretty average, Noel Gallagher wasn't bad but looked surprised to be there, Bryan Adams was exactly the same as always, but the standout for me (at least in the part of the concert I saw) was Kelly Jones from Stereophonics. He did the vocal for Substitute, actually a rather early Who hit (1966), and extrapolated from Daltrey's original punkish vocals to produce an edgy song that could quite seriously have been released tomorrow. I kid you not.

Apart from the obvious absence of Keith Moon, I thought Roger Daltrey had overdone it and by the end of the concert could only reach half the notes. He still made Bryan & Co look sick, however. 8)

The Ox, as ever, was brilliant. More than once, the camera caught him with both hands on the fret broard! While Noel Gallagher and Pete Townshend played together, John Entwhistle seemed to be doing twice as much on a single neck as the two of them combined. As someone has said, the Jimi Hendrix of the bass guitar.

I just found it incredible that a band that had its first hit in 1965 (as The Who) could front up 36 years later and blow the socks off an audience of all ages. You could see it on their faces. Everyone was on their feet and having a really great time.

Pete Townshend was still jumping like a maniac, Roger Daltrey still swinging that mike so you're sure he's going to miss and brain someone, and John Entwhistle just doing impossible things with a bass guitar.

Here's to The Who. May they live on through their timeless music. Cheers, John.