Thunderbird mangles .mht files

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
INTRODUCTION
If you want to save a web page simply and effectively for viewing later, or for sending to someone else so that they can view it too, an mht file is the way to go. The Mozilla family of browsers was always mht retarded as compared to Internet Explorer (yes, there are some things that IE actually does quite well, strange as it might seem), but Opera handles them brilliantly. (Not sure about Chrome. OK, I am sure about Chrome now 'cause I just checked. No prizes for guessing, every clueless dumbo's favourite browser still doesn't understand them, same as it doesn't understand anything else more complicated than a turnip.) Summary: an mht file is a very effective single-file copy of a web page. It includes text, graphics, layout, everything in one simple, easy-to-handle file.

PROBLEM
For some unknown reason, Thunderbird seems to think it understands and can display mht files. It can't. If you open one in Thunderbird, you get a blank page. Nothing on it. (Actually, a weird sort of blank page in a new window of its own - it doesn't open in the normal way; it's more like a new message windows than anything else.) But you don't want to open it in Thunderbird anyway; you just want to send it as an ordinary email attachment; or (if you are the receiver) open it in a competent web browser (Opera, or even IE if you must); or simply save it to disc for opening in a browser later. So you attach my_file.mht to your email and send it as a single attachment. But stupid Thunderbird at the other end tries to fiddle with the contents and the receiver gets 19 attachments: one is the original my_file.mht file complete in every way, the other 18 are component files Thunderbird stupidly extracts from the .mht and litters about the place. (The number of these varies according to the complexity of the web page you are sending; they are the usual things that make up a page: the main html, images, css files, and so on. You might get two or three, you can get 30 or 40.)

So the poor receiver gets something like 19 attachments, only one of which was intended. Or, as happened to me the other day, 5 .mht files (she sent me five web pages to read) and almost 200 other files! Now, as the receiver, you can do any of four things. If you happen to know that you only need *.mht, you can (1) hunt through what can be a very long unsorted list looking for the mht files and save them individually. (Typically, there is only one unless the sender sent more than one attachment.) Or, if you don't happen to know this bit of arcana, you have to (2) save the whole lot, individually, one by one unless you know that Thunderbird has a convenient "save all" button which will (3) save all attached files in one go. Obviously, with this third option, you need to make a new folder to save all these files into - which makes sending a single neat, convenient .mht file completely bloody pointless in the first place! The sender might just as well have saved the primitive way Chrome does it (my_file.html + many files in a my_file_files folder). Or (4), you can try to open the attachment in Thunderbird itself, which gives you a blank screen.

Massive fail, Mozilla.org.

All that Thunderbird has to do is stop pretending it knows how to handle .mht files and leave them the hell alone! Is that so hard?

Can't you just go into tools -> options -> attachments and tell it how to deal with them? (I.e., hand them to Opera or IE, the same way it hands .pdf files to Acrobat or Foxit.) Nope: there are several file types listed, but not .mht. There is no facility to add new ones! If you trawl around Google for long enough you can learn that you can add new types into that list by closing it and finding an attachment of the desired type and attempting to open it inside Thunderbird(a bit like the way you associate files in Windows Explorer). Only it doesn't work, 'cause if you do that with an mht file, Thunderbird just does the blank new window thing.

So, as far as I can tell, there is no answer. It doesn't even seem to be listed as a Thunderbird bug, at least not that I can find, but it surely needs fixing. I can't believe I'm the first person to discover it.

Any ideas?

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Yep: stop using Thunderbird.

Thunderbird is the bastard child of the Mozilla family. It hasn't has a decent update for most of this century and it's just so 1997. they really should just pension it of completely. Doesn't everybody use Gmail anyway?

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
No Tea, there are lots of people who like having their own data, not giving it all to Google (who hand it all over to a foreign government for surveillance purposes and sell it back to you in the form of targeted ads). (OK, OK, my webserver happens to live in Texas so the nasty foreign government gets the data anyway, but I could switch the hosting to a local firm if I wanted to. I'm just too stingy to pay a local company $100 to do badly what the Texas company does very well for $20. And yes, I have tried a few.)

Another thing about using Thunderbird, Tea, is that we have control of our own data. You have the absolute ability to back up (or not back up!) your ow messages; delete stuff, keep stuff, anything you want. No-one except you is responsible for it. You are not relying on "the cloud" or Google or having a live Internet connection for anything. The entire Internet can self-destruct next week and the only thing that happens is that you can't get new messages. All your data is belong to you.

But why Thunderbird? it is free, it is ubiquitous, it is simple (except for .. well, see above), and it is very easy to back up and port to new systems and so on. Far, far, far better than (for example) any flavour of Outlook.

So I'd rather they fixed it 'cause I want to keep using it.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Thanks, but no. That is the exact opposite. That add-on gives Firefox and Seamonkey the ability to do what Opera and Internet Explorer have always been able to do straight out of the box - read and save mht files. The problem Thunderbird has is that, with mht files, it buggerises around with the data in an attachment when it has no right to. You can send any other attachment, including other container file formats like .zip, .tiff, and .arj, and the email program will work as expected - it sends the file or presents the file for saving/opening in the normal way. Only in this particular case does it litter your incoming email with bougus duplicate data.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I used to save web pages as .MHT files in IE (would open IE just to save that web page). A few years later, I couldn't open those mht files with later versions of IE. I've given up saving as mht for this reason and live with the .html and associated child files.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Chewy, 'cause I don't know how or where (both things I could find out) or what to classify the bug as so that it gets attention, not ignored. So I thought I'd talk it over with you guys first, see if I learned enough to be able to make a sensible bug report that will actually get fixed. I'll do that in a few days if nothing further arises here.

Mubs, your answer is Opera. I bet you you could open those files with Opera, and that Opera can open its own older files. ........ er 'till they discontinue the excellent current 12.x and flip over to the new and really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really bad Opera 15.x, which is nothing other than a very inferior clone of Chrome minus all of Chrome's good features and with bad stuff piled on top. They say they intend to improve it. Good luck with that. Did I mention that it was bad already?

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Chewy, 'cause I don't know how or where (both things I could find out) or what to classify the bug as so that it gets attention, not ignored. So I thought I'd talk it over with you guys first, see if I learned enough to be able to make a sensible bug report that will actually get fixed. I'll do that in a few days if nothing further arises here.

Mozilla's main bug reporting system: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/
How to write a good bug report: https://quality.mozilla.org/docs/bugzilla/starter-kit/how-to-write-a-proper-bug/ and https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US...ale=en-US&redirectslug=Bug_writing_guidelines

Writing bug reports is pretty simple:
1. Include your system details.
2. Include a short description of the bug, what you were trying to do, what was expected and what happened.
3. Include exact steps on how to reproduce the bug, and especially if multiple ways reproduce the bug, include all the ways you have found.