Tiny Tower

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Although I prefer midi-towers for most applications, I do feel they waste a lot of space. Searching for an alternative, I've become all fired up over the "Tiny Tower" range from Yeong Yang.

yy-a105.jpg
yy-a107.jpg

Like Shuttle's SFF (Small Form Factor) PCs, they only have room for one each of FDD, HDD and CD/DVD. Unlike SFF, however, they take standard FlexATX and MicroATX motherboards, so sport 1xAGP + 3xPCI slots instead of just one of each.

I'd prefer 2x 5.25" bays, but only Soltek's SFF solution offers that.

Comparing size, the Shuttle SFF is 200x185x300 vs 330x135x340 (HxWxD) for the Tiny Tower (11 vs 15 litres), and weighs 4.65kg vs my guess of 6kg. You'll notice that the Tiny Tower's footprint is actually smaller.

Unlike widely available 'book' cases, these aren't limited to low-profile cards (and what a royal PITA that is), and can manage a 60mm exhaust fan in the right place instead of the other pitiful solutions that abound (I saw one with twin 40mm fans the other day ...)

Unfortunately, the only ones I could find locally have no front USB or audio connectors, almost mandatory these days; and the moulded 3.5" bay precludes using a panel with embedded ports:

yy-a102.jpg

Has anyone else come across them?

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
http://www.yeongyang.com/products/yya105.htm

It's just a standard mini/micro-atx tower... only not wide enough to fit a CD-ROM drive sideways.

Consequently you need noisey 60mm fans instead of the standard 80mm ones...

Another problem is that the CD drive covers the PSU.. meaning you'll probably be stuck using a loud Low Profile PSU instead of a quieter model.

Not ready for prime time yet...

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Check the dimensions. It's not a standard minitower.

60mm fans don't have to be noisy - you're just used to the ridiculous high speed versions favoured on CPU coolers.

The CD drive is nowhere near the PSU. :roll:

Frankly, I think you're talking through your posterior. 'Small' PCs have been a significant niche market since the '80s. I've usually hated them due to their use of nonstandard parts, so IMO this attempt to compact otherwise 'normal' PCs is laudable. Go look at a few equivalent HPs/Dells and then come back and criticize. :p

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
And I know 60mm fans don't have to be noisey... I'm not even used to the crazy ones they put on HSFs as you suggest. For the same volume of airflow an 80mm fan will be quieter, and more pleasant sounding. This si what I'm saying.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
These nice size enclosures might go well with Shuttle's new mATX nForce2 board (not that I'd buy Shuttle, but the concept is nice).