Too many announcements.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
There're currently four announcements at the top of this forum, too much IMO. The top is cluttered. Besides, the first thread of this forum should ALWAYS be the one about the rules of conduct. Make it sticky instead of just an announcement.

Other announcements about short-lived news (like the forum upgrade things) should simply be normal threads IMO, not announcements. Next week, no one will care about the forum upgrade anymore, but it will still be at the top.

Somebody call a maid, we need a clean-up.

Handruin

Administrator
CougTek said:
There're currently four announcements at the top of this forum, too much IMO. The top is cluttered. Besides, the first thread of this forum should ALWAYS be the one about the rules of conduct. Make it sticky instead of just an announcement.

Other announcements about short-lived news (like the forum upgrade things) should simply be normal threads IMO, not announcements. Next week, no one will care about the forum upgrade anymore, but it will still be at the top.

Somebody call a maid, we need a clean-up.

I agree with you, I normally announce events such as forum upgrades so that people will see the news and report any problems. Shortly after I do in fact plan to remove it as an announcment for the exact reasons you listed.

I've done this in the past, and I thought it worked fine. My intention was not to leave the forum upgrade as an announcment for long.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Tea said:
I suppose I better go home and let Tannin get some sleep so that he can complete his long-promised re-write of the FAQ. That will take one more ugly announce thingie out.
Tannin has editing rights IIRC. Why doesn't he simply edit the current FAQ instead of duplicating the whole thing uselessly?

Handruin

Administrator
Tea said:
The idea is to move the FAQ so that you get it when you click on the FAQ in the masthead.

Do you want to use the current style (not content) that the FAQ link jumps to? If so i can send you the format, or I can just enter the info from the thread at the top of this forum and be done with it. :)

Thoughts?

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
It would be best to combine the phpBB info and the Storage Forum info in one document, I think Doug. The style of the current phpBB one-size-fits-all FAQ is fine, IMO. I have that already downloaded, and part edited. I just have to sit down and finish it. This week. :)