Trend spotting

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
I'm noticing a growing number of websites restricting interactive user functions to "members".

For example, I'm not a member of CDFreaks, but in the past I've certainly made plenty of use of their user forums' search function to find information I'm seeking. This morning I discovered that premission/priviledge has been removed.

I have no interest in becoming a member or, for that matter, having to sign in to this-that-and-the-other site in order to effect my searches for information. Closed doors I sort of expect from the likes of Nvidia (and other information sanitizing merchants), but not from large end user based communities.

Boo to CDfreaks and too all the others I've recently come acreoss that employ such limitations. Boooooooooooooo!

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
I've noticed the same thing. Very annoying.

I made up an easily memorized junk username/password to use on all such sites where I just want to be able to read their information.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
This also means that their forums can't be crawled by Google's robots and the information contained will not show up in search results. Bastards.