TV computer????

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Hi guys:

I've been thinking about upgrading the Home Theater and I've been kicking around trying to figure out a way to go HDTV, along with using a computer, maybe with backplane setup, to store movies, etc. that I record off the HDTV.

Any suggestions on this? Computer stats, cards to use, etc.? Will it even work?

Thanks

Greg

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Way to play the movies off the computer, to either a Monitor, or HDTV, or both?

s

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
There are a couple of ways you can hook up an HDTV to your computer. Some of the ATI cards ship with a component dongle, you can use component cables in that case.

You can get a PCI HD tuner card (such as the MyHD-120). This will tune OTA channels (there is a 130 now that can also tune unencrypted QAM - from your cable connection). This you can hook up either via component cables, or you can get a DVI daughtercard and use that. This option will also allow you to record HD to your hard drive, for archiving, or later viewage.

You could hook up from DVI output on your video card, into DVI or HDMI input on the HDTV (if it has such a connection). You will have to deal with overscan etc.

You may want to look at a DLP or LCD rear projection HDTV, as it will give you a fixed pixel display (1280*720), which should eliminate the overscan issues. Also this would be good for gaming, as you don't have to worry about burn in (just replace the bulb for hundreds when she goes).

If you are buying a new HDTV, make sure it has either a DVI-HDCP (commonly referred to as DVI-HDTV), or HDMI input. Chances are that the forthcoming Blu-Ray/HD-DVD players will not output HD over unprotected component outputs, so an HDCP compliant input is a must.