Two computers, Dual NICs, SQL server configuation

Handruin

Administrator
Has anyone configured two servers in the following situation?

Server A will be running a web based application.
Server B will be running SQL server.
The application is designed to connect with remote SQL server databases, so I know this part already works correctly. The networking part I’m not so sure about.

I made a recommendation today for the two servers to utilize one their gigabit Ethernet connections. Both servers have built-in dual gigabit Ethernet adapters. Our main network is only 10/100 (which won’t change), so I mentioned using the second NIC on both hosts as a direct cable connection to utilize the speed of 1000Mb. This connection would be used for Server A to access SQL server on Server B.

I envisioned server A having a public and private network address. Public connection is connected on our house network for all access and the Private is for the direct connection to Server B. The same scenario applies to server B. Does this sound like a terrible setup? All users will access server A, which has the production application. Server B will be accessed for other general work so it also needs a public connection. Both servers will be running windows 2000 Advanced Server.

Does that sound like a useful setup, or is it better to disable the second NIC on both host and stick with the 10/100 network? My worry is that SQL server cannot “listen” (multihomed?) on two network adapters. If someone needs to use SQL server on Server B from the public network, I don't know if this is possible.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I'm not sure how SQL will work with dual NICs, but as far as the Server OSes and hardware goes, that is a nice idea. Anandtech does something similar to balance their loads for their forum, database, and web applications (although they use more machines).

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
i dont see a problem with that handruin, Any decent server has no problems with being accessed from different IP addresses (the configuration might be a little tougher though.. but it's usually setup by default to work correctly)

I would give the dedicated connection between the servers a different subnet than your main IP addressing...

ex: main IP scheme = 192.168.0.x
then the dedicated would be 192.168.1.x .. or even further away 10.0.0.x

That will help ensure that the dedicated connection is used correctly.