Hi
I was wondering if UbunutI ripping software was better then say,
Exact Audio Copy, or RipitforMe, etc. ?

If so, which packages do you use?

Thanks

G

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Most Linux based ripping software is based on cdda2wav/cdparanoia and LAME.

I've found the cdparanoia and lame combination to be very good, and on the same level as EAC.

I personally use GRIP (but encode as FLAC rather than mp3), and haven't had any problems with it.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I generally find it easier to rip DVDs under Windows and/or WINE. ARCCOS copy protection is a stopping point for a lot of new releases (ARCCOS is also updated continuously, so something that can handle the ARCCOS of two years ago, like Ripit4Me isn't going to do much good vs. the ARCCOS of last week), and generally speaking the easiest way to deal with it is a Windows program called AnyDVD, and Nero Recode is quite a bit faster than other shrinking programs I've used.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
So Merc, you'd recommend AnyDVD as the best DVD ripping solution. I've been using DVDFab HD Decrypter, but its been puking on some discs lately.

Namely my copy of War Photographer & School of Rock.

AnyDVD is the solution I should try?

__On Topic:__
I use CD Paranoia on Linux through a command line frontend called abcde (a better CD encoder). CD Paranoia has ripped discs with better quality and much faster than EAC in my experience. CDs with scratches that EAC can't recover have ripped fine with CD Paranoia --don't know why (it's possible the different CD-Rom drives in the computers are the difference I suppose). ABCDE is phenomenal by the way; it automates the whole ripping & tagging process. You do need to do some simple configuration in a well-documented text file. It takes about 2 minutes if you know the command line operators for LAME and stick with the default file naming & directory structure. 10 minutes if you don't and want to customize the directory structure/file naming.

I used Vobcopy on Linux to make decrypted, mirrored file structures on the hard drive, but it doesn't work with a lot of the nasty, intentionally broken DVDs now on the market. I heard that the only solutions for these disks are produced for Windows, so I've been looking for one that works.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
So Merc, you'd recommend AnyDVD as the best DVD ripping solution. I've been using DVDFab HD Decrypter, but its been puking on some discs lately.

AnyDVD does several things that make it worth the cash (or the effort to continuously pirate, whichever): They've been very good about updating to handle those broken DVDs and for that matter CDs, and also to handle HD Disc content keys, and also AnyDVD strips out HDCP requirements, which makes watching high definition content quite a bit easier. One of the reasons I didn't buy a 30" monitor was that the 2560xwhatever resolution they use isn't a supported HD resolution; big computer monitors scale all the way back to 800xsomething to watch "authorized" HD content.

There have been times when competitors have had slightly more up to date copy circumvention features, but AnyDVD has never been more than a week behind so far as I can tell, and it's just as likely the first one to update.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
HMMMM.
So far the combination of RipIt4me DVD Decrypter, and DVD Shrink has worked on pretty much anything I've tried it on.

That said, if you like AnyDVD that much, it's nice to know about it, and, I'll check it out in the future.

G