Ultra Wide SCSI is....

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Memory and Google fail me.

UW SCSI is SE or LVD?

Also can I use an SE cable to run a LVD (U160) bus? Or are the SE cables not capable of handling the signal?

Thanks.

Handruin

Administrator
UW information.

To your other question, the best answer probably lies here. UW SCSI is SE or possibly HVD.

I don't believe you can use an SE cable to run an LVD bus. see here for the different cable types.

Note that high-end SCSI now uses LVD, so LVD cables are required, which are similar in some ways to single-ended "P" cables, yet different. ;^) They are also, unfortunately, called "P" cables, so watch out for that! Note also that some wide SCSI implementations use single connector attachment (SCA) instead of discrete cables.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
UW SCSI is 40MB/s right? Then a SE cable should work fine. You don't need LVD cables until you get to U2W SCSI.

Handruin

Administrator
timwhit said:
UW SCSI is 40MB/s right? Then a SE cable should work fine. You don't need LVD cables until you get to U2W SCSI.

You're right. I believe the drive should be backward compatible (lowering all device speeds on that channel to UW), but I thought sechs was asking if you could use the UW SCSI cable to utilize the LVD.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I was talking about putting LVD devices on an SE cable (not an SE bus).

Explorer

Learning Storage Performance
sechs said:
Memory and Google fail me.

UW SCSI is SE or LVD?

Also can I use an SE cable to run a LVD (U160) bus? Or are the SE cables not capable of handling the signal?

UW SCSI is 40 MB/s SE.

Yes, you can run any SE and LVD device on either cable type cable and it will work, but the bus will always run at the lowest common denominator when you attach a legacy SCSI device (i.e. -- SE speeds).

LVD cannot use a SE cable to achieve LVD speeds (80, 160, 320 MB/s). SE and LVD cable stock is different -- and I'm not referring to the calibrated twist that is required in the differential cable stock for common mode rejection of noise. The wire stock's DC impedance is a bit different between the two cable types. SE cable wire (this includes the old HVD as well) is supposed to have close to 90 ohms impedance per meter and LVD is supposed to have close to 130 ohms impedance per meter.