Unable to Log into WinXP

mangyDOG

Learning Storage Performance
Senario:

Windows XP Home computer infested with spyware, one user with no password so computer boots to desktop with out stopping at the user selection screen.

Boot into safe mode, install Ad-aware and latest reference file (2nd June)

Run Ad-Aware, nukes spyware but unable to remove one file (a new.net dll I think) asks if I want to run another scan on next boot up - clicked on Yes...

Reboot

Walk out of room for caffeine fix, come back, user selection screen (?!) click on user name, logs in and instantly logs back out (?!?!)

Restart PC in safe mode, same thing, try the "hidden" Administrator account, logs in and logs out. (Doh!, Doh!, Doh!)

Any ideas on what has happened and how I can fix it (with out wiping the C drive?

Cheers,
mangyDOG

PS: I have looked at the LavaSoft forums and there was one post with an identical problem but no solution was offered...

mangyDOG

Not a virus. I have plugged the HDD into one of my PCs and scanned it.

Prior to running Ad-Aware it was starting correctly, just had spyware on it, now I cannot stay logged in...

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Run back to your previous restore point.

I'd guess that some of that spyware may have had its grubby mits a lot furthur into your OS than you'd like.

mangyDOG

Ok found the problem and fix...

The problem is that Ad-aware buggers up some items in the registry.
This is a fault in Ad-Aware so care should be taken with using this program. Thankfully the fix is relatively straight forward.

The Fix:

Boot the computer off your Windows XP CD into the recovery console.

Change directorys to C:\Windows\System32

Type 'copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe'

1 file should be copied, now REBOOT!

Windows startup may take a bit longer than normal but you should be up and running.

More info on this problem is available here

Cheers,
mangyDOG
[/url]

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Nice find one-eyed mangy mut. Strange, I and my customers run that program on many different systems (most XP) and have not had that problem yet. I'll have to look into this a bit further with the URL you provided.