UNIX CPU BURN IN PROGRAM

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Any idea where I can get an app that will max on both CPUs on my J6000 (HP-UX) workstation? We have a distributed computing system here at work and my machine seems to get assigned jobs when I don't want it to. Machine CPU usage is tracked so if I can keep it maxed out all the time, I am less likely to be assigned a job. Unfortunately, I have not found any UNIX based proggies for CPU load/burn in....

Any help would be appreciated...a simple command line app is preferred.

Thanks,
C

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Try
nice -10 gzip -c /dev/random >> /dev/null

Assuming you have the right to set nice numbers, and that HPUX has a /dev/random (sometimes it's called different things).

That should increase your load average somewhat.

honold

Storage is cool
first off, let me open with 'lol'

http://users.ev1.net/~redelm/ is the only one i know of / have used offhand, but i wouldn't suggest anything for you really. just set scripts to compile something decent at random intervals. a locked 100% is way too suspicious.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
No. Somehow, I don't think my employer would like it if I was running a program that accessed the net and did 'work' for a cause it does not officially support. :oops:

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
But you're willing to do work for no cause or benefit? Except, perhaps, to deny your employer the use of this distributed work program.

Somehow something doesn't seem right...

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Rather than playing games and tying up the machine to prevent legitimate work from interfering with your desire to use the machine, may I suggest that when your machine is being occupied by this inconvienience, simply change its priority, so that it does not inteterfere with your purposes and your stuff gets priority.

Changing priority levels should allow you to do your stuff unencumbered and the distributed work program to do its with any surplus cycles. Both are happy.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Well, the major issue would be allowing the machine to access the net via an unsupported program which would be bad.