UPS monitoring

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I installed a rack mount APC UPS in a remote hub. It powers the network switches in the hub.
I installed the APC network adaptor (AP9617) with the thought that I could monitor the UPS. All I wanted was a message from the UPS network adaptor that the UPS was running on battery. ( one of the switches has data for EPA monitoring equipment attached to it...it must be on all the time)
APCs software is the most convuluted POS I have ever seen. The instruction manual is written in an english that no one here understands.
I can't even get APCs own software that is installed on a PC to 'see' the UPS on the network.
Does anyone know of a utility that can monitor this UPS accross a network?

Thanks,
Bozo :joker:

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Does the Network adapter support SNMP? If it does, then setup a syslog server with SNMP plug-in...

That is what I have been trying to do for 2 weeks now. I have APC Business server software installed on a computer. I does not recognize the UPS. (everything is on a test bench....UPS to switch to computer)

I'll try APC tech support again.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
No, APS tech finally admitted that I would have to purchase third party software. Their own software won't work.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Did this work ok?

No.

I'm beginning to think the NIC is broke. But, I can access the APC NIC via Internet Explorer. Just type in the NIC's address in the browser. Then I have full control of the NIC

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
It sounds like you have a necessary port blocked (I have no idea which ports are needed for that application) via your firewall.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
SNMP uses the default UDP port 161 for general SNMP messages and UDP port 162 for SNMP trap messages.

Jan Kivar

Learning Storage Performance
Have you enabled & configured SNMP on the NIC? I think you need to setup the allowed IPs/subnet, check the community names and their access rights.

Cheers,

Jan

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
No firewall and Windows firewall is diabled.
In add/remove programs I installed the snmp monitoring utilities.
Installed apcupsd. When the config file cable type is set to usb, apcupsd connects to the ups. when I change to ether, and set up snmp, apcupsd does not connect to the ups.
Tryed port 161 and 162 in apcupsd....no help.

Jan Kivar

Learning Storage Performance
So you have in apcupsd.conf (is there such a file in windows?) the following:

Code:
UPSCABLE ether
UPSTYPE snmp
DEVICE [I]<ip>[/I]:161:APC:[I]<community>[/I]

The comments on apcupsd.conf say that the community needs to be "private" - meaning read/write access. "public" - read only access is not enough apparently.

I have an older AP9605 card in one of my UPS. I've tested the SNMP functionality on Linux console only (no GUI applications). Once apcupsd is started, the status can be inquired (on Fedora) via command service apcupsd status.

Cheers,

Jan

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
The apcupsd.conf is loaded when the program is installed.
I redid the conf file and now I am connected to the ups via snmp.
Scary part: I don't really know what changed to allow me to connect to the ups.

Thanks for everyones help!