UPS Warranty

Handruin

Administrator
Here are a few guesses:
  • They expect the business unit to be used under higher loads or more stress and therefore may break sooner?
  • The cost may be different (I don't know).
  • The units are different (at least in exterior form).
  • Both units have different regulatory approvals.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Businesses will buy maintenance/support contracts; consumers generally don't. Or if they do buy it is an extended service plan which APC generally doesn't profit from.

Another thought would be intended use. On average a business is likely to drive a product harder than the 'average Joe'. For a UPS, 24x7 usage at 70+% rated capacity v. 8x7 usage at 40% capacity for the consumer.

Handruin

Administrator
My parents don't. They turn off their machine every night and shut off the UPS.

Stereodude

Not really a
Who knows... Either one will need the sealed lead acid batteries to be replaced with some frequency.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Here's one that's definitely a businessy model, and it has a three-year warranty:
http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR1200&tab=models

Frankly, they can't really control whether a particular model goes into a home or a large office. Obviously, they can spin features to cater to one market or another, but how many of us have seen consumer-level networking equipment skulking around the workplace?

I've also noticed that some of the APC RS series models have XS series twins with some non-essential feature removed and a shorter warranty. The price difference is zero to ~$50.

Are they just going silly splitting the market here?