US Army to launch "America's Army" line of games!

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Looks like the "9/11 syndrome" is spawning a title every 10 secs in the 7th (cinema) and 8th (video games) fine art... :)
The latest state-of-the-art war title: http://www.americasarmy.com/

PS. Am I Jason or what?! :roll:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
9/11 created an explosion in all art forms. One of the most profound moments I've had in ages occurred when I walked into a comic shop and found a number of 9/11 Tribute Comics.

As I understand things pop music has undertaken a turn toward serious/inspirational music, and soon there will be classical works - threnodies and laments and operas, that will carry that feeling forward as well.

9/11 in American Fine Arts to date seems to have concentrated on theater. I've yet to see much else in that sphere. It may take years before everyone has their say.

Oh. And the thing this thread is about - the Army Game? That page won't load for me, regardless of which browser I use. I'd like to look at to comment and I can't. Hmph.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Mercutio said:
As I understand things pop music has undertaken a turn toward serious/inspirational music, and soon there will be classical works - threnodies and laments and operas, that will carry that feeling forward as well.

I would add to that reflective.

Try this "skip the flash" link. http://www.americasarmy.com/flashjumppage.html

I think this also has flash on it. This page refers to two games. An RPG and FPS.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Mercutio said:
Oh. And the thing this thread is about - the Army Game? That page won't load for me, regardless of which browser I use. I'd like to look at to comment and I can't. Hmph.
Bwahahahahaha!
Eat my shorts, Mercutio! It WAS Flash-enabled. :lol:

Too bad Cliptin is a fair guy and provided you an alternative link... :wink:

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Mercutio said:
9/11 created an explosion in all art forms.
True. You know this isn't necessarily a bad thing. But these arts MUST provide reflective thoughts NOT feelings of revenge. I just hope Hollywood doesn't exaggerate on that.

Well, war titles for the PC were always there...

One of the most profound moments I've had in ages occurred when I walked into a comic shop and found a number of 9/11 Tribute Comics.
I'm curious. How they managed? Did you buy any? Glimpsed?! How were they?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The image that got to me was a photo-realistic portrait by a gentleman named Alex Ross (I think his website is alexrossart.com), of Superman, probably the most iconic figure in all of comics, gazing up at a picture of policemen, firemen and EMTs against the background of the fallen towers, with the single caption "Wow."

Beyond that, I've bought and read perhaps a half-dozen collections interpreting the events, either within the "lives" of of the heroes I love, or by the artists responsible for creating them. Since so many of the people who make comics in the US live in New York, there are hundreds of powerful, genuine stories and images coming from that.

Daily comic strips had their moments, too. Daily comics are ephemeral, but those that came in the days and weeks that followed were very memorable.

I'm a big fan of sequential art. It is a form where an Icon really can rise fully to its meaning.

And prof, I wouldn't worry. The meaning here of 9/11- at least where I'm sitting - is not revenge, but of tragedy and loss, heroism and sacrifice. Many, many powerful symbolic statements came after but none so far appear to be spiteful.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
there's plenty or miltary combat type games and i'd say it's likely that this was spwaned as a result of the game operation flashpoint. i'd be very suprised to learn that 11/9 spawned this game as conception>development for a game such as this would have taken longer than just 9 months.

does anyone here play TFC (h-l mod)?

adriel

Learning Storage Performance
I bet if an opponent gets shot in this game, he would either immediately disappear or turn into a big red X or something like that. That is, if there is any shooting at opponents allowed in the game.

adriel

Learning Storage Performance
This is a cool game. Except the servers for Infantry MOUT certification are down right now, so I can't progress further in single player training.

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
This type of commercial activity is not new for the United States. Beloved comics such as Captain America and the Commandos are the result of war fever. Older cartoons such as Bugs Bunny included statements and events from World War I and World War II. The United States had not seen a catastrophic attack on its soil since the beginning of the last century. So, it only makes sense that modern forms of entertainment include recent terrorist events in their arsenal of propaganda.