USB2 vs Firewire at xbitlabs

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
The results are bad for USB2... :(
I hope they trim future products a little better.
rock_band.gif

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I wish they had tried more than one USB 2.0 product: One can't tell if it is the USB 2.0 protocol or the specific Adtronics USB 2.0 <-> ATA 100 converter.

I am surprised, I expected the USB 2.0 to be slightly faster than 1394 firewire (Not enough to matter) but it wasn't even close. My prediction is simply based upon extrapolating performance from specifcations. Obviously specifications don't tell everything.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
But, as I have already said in the beginning of the article, we were going to test three real devices: WD1200BB in Addonics Combo Drive, WD External Hard Drive and WD1200BB with Promise Ultra100 TX2, not the three interfaces. So, let's take the results into consideration and wait for future USB 2.0 tests.

Yeah... they were really testing the individual components instead of the interfaces themselves... This is a good approach IMO considering that USB 2.0 is still pretty new and there aren't a whole lot of devices out there to choose from.

If you want speed today, get the firewire rig they used... if you want cheap now, get the USB... if you want something tomorrow all bets are off.