Use for old PocketPC

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Hey gang,
I was cleaning out my apartment today, when I came across an old Toshiba e740 PPC. It was given to me a while back for a project I was working on, and even then it was outdated. Today it's even worse. I've got a Dell Axim that I love and use daily, and I've got my old Palm Tungsten C which I also really like. The Toshiba I have no use for. I tried to sell it a while back, with no luck. The battery is shot, but otherwise the hardware is fine including the display, SD slot, and built in 802.11b. I wouldn't mind turning it into some little internet device sitting on my desk (in the cradle to power it, as it dies in about 1 second when running on the battery), or something. It looks like at least one person has been successful getting Linux to run on it (link: http://www.clarkson.edu/projects/cosi/sp2005/wilburpf/toshibalinux/). Has anybody here ever played around with this sort of thing before?

RWIndiana

Learning Storage Performance
I put Linux on a hp 5500 ipaq. Although HP actually supports this, so it may be easier than others. It worked much better than WinCE for wireless Internet, and had more features. There were definitely some bugs in other areas though, but if I still had it, I would probably keep Linux on it and use it for an Internet device.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
A portable device that isn't portable anymore probably isn't worth a whole lot.
I have a hard time thinking of things to do with PDAs even when they have a full battery.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
As another possible use: Lots of people do the Ebook thing and just download and read books on them for free. If it has a power cord that would be fine for most, otherwise batteries are likely cheap. Check usenet for tons of books to download.

I am looking to do this myself so I am looking to get a device somewhere but I don't want to spend much money so mostly I am looking for a used device that someone is getting rid of.