useful information for W520 Users

klaus

What is this storage?
It’s been a while since I got my Lenovo W520 and here I come to the point to get a SSD to put OS in.
Then somehow frustrated to find there’s little option on market because W520 mini PCI-e slot needs mSATA SSD. Finally I came upon only Intel 310 and Renice X3 mSATA SSD compatible. I did make my own decision and now I would like to share the how to with other users.

Just like all consumers do, I care about performance, reliability and price.

A simple comparision on R/W is needed. 310'S sequential R/W speed is up to 200/70MB/s, while Renice X3 mSATA uses Sandforce SF1222 to gain a R/W up to 260/200mb/s. This difference should result from 2 controllers applied. Judged from speed, I think SF1222 helps X3 to score a point.

* By the way, here is a link StorageResearch’s Top 20 SSD manufacture showing the controllers ranking, which will be helpful when we choose SSD.

Now how to judge the reliability? I have my own way-- writing amplification rate, the lower we might enjoy a longer lifespan. Sandforce controller wins the game again because its writing amplification rate is almost 0.5, the lowest.

Then as to price, I have done some work on the Internet. Finally I want to share the information I have found with every final consumers.

2 retailers represent the average price showing up. Considering the capacity is not the same, so I calculated how much is per GB to make it more clear for us.

1.199.99$ on Newegg for 80GB Intel 310. That is about 2.5$/GB
2.249.9$ on B2CIT for 120GB Renice mSATA. That is about 2.08$/GB.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
How is the warranty service on Renice? I've never heard of them.