Using MS Technet for Win 7 "upgrades"

Stereodude

Not really a
So, I've got quite a few PCs in my house. All are running XP. I'm interested in Win 7 (though I haven't tried it yet). A friend of mine told me I should join MS's Technet for a year ($349) as a relatively cheap way to effectively get 10 copies of just about every OS and program MS makes. This would allow me to put Win 7 on a few of the newer PCs, as well as put server OS's on my "servers" in the basement (instead of plain jane XP Pro) all for a lot less than buying the OS's any other way.

Now I realize the PCs can't be used for business use, or be sold with the Technet licenses installed, but I wouldn't be doing either. Does this idea have validity, or are there potential pitfalls to this idea that I should be aware of?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
You could install a Linux distro on your servers for free. I don't know what you're doing with them, but that might save you some money.

Stereodude

Not really a
You could install a Linux distro on your servers for free. I don't know what you're doing with them, but that might save you some money.
Well the one does more than serve files. It runs some Windows apps, which there may be Linux versions of, but I'm familiar with Windows and the applications I'm already using.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Do note that technically, these are subscription services and as such you are obligated to remove anything gotten via Technet or the Action pack if you ever stop subscribing. You don't actually own the licenses but are only leasing them. The Family pack is different, as it is not a subscription and you will own those licenses.

The Action Pack does allow for internal business use but does require you to take a web test (Yuk) and you will have to say that you are in a business that sells MS products before you can get it.

Stereodude

Not really a
Do note that technically, these are subscription services and as such you are obligated to remove anything gotten via Technet or the Action pack if you ever stop subscribing. You don't actually own the licenses but are only leasing them.
I didn't realize that. :cheese:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I kind of have access to all of the above. Yes, that does work. And if you want more licenses than they're immediately willing to give you, you can call them and they'll approve you for more. I've never had them NOT approve more licenses. It's very handy.

Also, even though you're theoretically obliged to stop using the software you install through an MSDN sub, the licenses numbers are valid forever.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Yeah, it's not even a rent to own plan either.

Family pack seems like a real deal now that the intro special upgrade price is gone.

Also, even though you're theoretically obliged to stop using the software you install through an MSDN sub, the licenses numbers are valid forever.

Even if you have to reactivate?

Stereodude

Not really a
Eh... that's not really what I was after, and I'm not about to pay $300 a year to rent the OS's. I'll stick to XP Pro for now.

Thanks for all the insight guys!

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
That usage agreement applies to MSDN and, I think, to Action Pack. But not to Family Pack. FP is for the multi-PC household and not for would-be developers or small OEMs.

FWIW that usage agreement is also part of the MS Home Use Program, which I've been using to buy MS Office Enterprise for cheap. According to the license I should stop using & uninstall it if/when I leave my employer. Just like those educational copies of Office are only for you to use while a student or teacher. Yeah. Right.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
The last time I let my Action pack subscription lapse, I gave all my accumulated CD's and keys to a the professor at a local community college with the condition that they not get activated so they can't get me or them into trouble. Technically, educational institutions aren't allowed to subscribe.

Their CISCO networking program had at the end of it a course where each person had to produce a web site with remote access to office (or an equivalent); an email server; a file server; SQL server, etc and each person was assigned a different OS to do it from. Some got Solaris, Linux, Windows NT; Windows 2003; ... Since I had access to all these Microsoft products I'm sure that they went to a very good use.