using thunderbird/firebird

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
... and I just got done with a long argument over whether I should be using Outlook at work.

Glad I won.

Mercutio

I have a 24-hours-a-week salaried teaching/tech/network admin job that I mostly do in the evening. I teach certification classes (Comptia and MS) and the occasional newbie tech class (computer building, troubleshooting).

I live on what I make from that job (which is more than enough for me to live on). The side stuff - which ranges from "really busy" to "dead boring", is money for saving or buying interesting things that use electricity.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Prof.Wizard said:
And why did you not respond to my PM?
:eek:
Man are you doing it on purpose?!
Don't ask me why I sent you that pm. FWIW your opinion mattered.

Mercutio

I can't normally see images in your posts, Prof, and in the most recent case, you posted something while I was replying to something else.

I didn't realize there was an image in your PM, and I thought you were joking or something.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
OK, I understand.
However I meant it that your opinion counts AFAIC.
(now the sig is small (height 60 pixel) and only 10K)

-----------
Back on topic:
How many of you use Thunderbird/Firebird? Is it stable in its current build?

fool

Learning Storage Performance
I'm using firebird right now, and have been since a day or two after the news of its release was posted here. Stable? It hasn't crashed on me yet. 8)
Also it seems marginally faster while browsing, but marginally slower to load.

Thunderbird, since about half an hour ago. I'd been avoiding it due to the lack of milestone releases, but since honold seemed so impressed I thought I'd try it out.

Will Rickards WT

Learning Storage Performance
Website
www.willrickards.net
What is the difference between firebird and mozilla?
I don't see as many options and the keep in memory thing isn't there either?

I switched to firebird and I like the default theme.
I was using pinball on the mozilla browser but didn't like the lackluster bookmark menu.

honold

Storage is cool
all the details should be on the project page will

it's leaner/faster, uses xul instead of xpfe, and pushes most features into add-ons

honold

Storage is cool
i think 'leaner/faster' matters to everyone

look at the main mozilla page. they're ceasing further development on mozilla and making firebird/phoenix their browser project, and list their reasoning.

SteveC

Storage is cool
A couple of things about Thunderbird that I don't like:

It creates a separate set of folders for each POP mail account, with no option to use one master set of folders. I have 4 different POP mail accounts, and I like having all the messages that aren't automatically sorted with filters to go into one folder.

The filters only apply to one account, with no option to use them on all accounts, or at the very least, clone them for use on the other accounts.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
SteveC said:
A couple of things about Thunderbird that I don't like:

It creates a separate set of folders for each POP mail account, with no option to use one master set of folders. I have 4 different POP mail accounts, and I like having all the messages that aren't automatically sorted with filters to go into one folder.

Heh, that's why I went to IMAP in the 1st place (to get seperate folders) I'm glad that pop acounts are treated the same way.. to each his own.

The filters only apply to one account, with no option to use them on all accounts, or at the very least, clone them for use on the other accounts.

Yeah, I think most filters on mail apps are pretty much in beta stage, they work, at a basic level.. if you want to do more advanced things or use them in conjuntion with more advanced things you can run into problems (Does any mail app do filters on IMAP accounts correctly automatically yet?)

SteveC

Storage is cool
honold said:
tools / junk mail controls, no custom filters needed

And if you have more than one account, you have to enable it for each. I found that out when I was trying to see why it thought that getting rid of stretch marks was a legit message.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Question on firebird.... when I goto a website it has an icon for that website on the tab at the top... when I bookmark the site, sometimes the image apears next to the bookmark, sometimes it doesn't.... sometimes it just takes a while...

How can I get the image to consistantly apear next to the bookmark on the bookmarks toolbar? (currently I have 7 sites up there and only titanTV and SF have images next to the bookmark when 3 additional sites sites should have icons)

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
hmm.. maybe I found out... I added the bookmarks and then started going to the sites by clicking on the bookmark with only 1 tab open and they started coming up.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
A couple of things I don't like about Firebird. There may be a way to fix these problems, but I didn't figure it out in less than thirty minutes so I gave up.

1) When I type a new address in the address bar and hit enter it does not appear in a new tab; rather it replaces the site I am currently viewing.

2) When I click on a bookmark it replaces the current site I am viewing instead of opening on a new tab.

3) The tab bar is not always there. I want it to be always there. Why must it disappear?

4) There are no left/right arrows to move from tab to tab easily without moving the mouse.

5) There is no option to close all tabs. There is an option to "Close Tab". But that only closes one tab. What if I have 200 tabs open and I want to close all of them without closing the browser? Or close all the tabs without closing the current one I am viewing?

All of these features are incorporated in CrazyBrowser. I don't notice any speed difference either. Isn't firebird supposed to be superspeed?

Mercutio

Tab behavior is a little different than you're used to.

CTRL-TAB moves among the tabs (or CTRL-SHIFT-TAB to go the other way).
There is a preference that makes the tab area always visible, even with only one tab. There's a rightclick close-all-tabs option.

The controls on the upper part of the screen apply to the present tab. You can open a blank one and type something else in, if you'd like.

You can find a ton of tab-handling options (in Moz at least) by typing about:config in the location bar.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Well, I decided to give it a go. Firebird is installed but when I start it it stops responding. :(

Any ideas?

Handruin

Administrator
I just installed this a few minutes ago to try it out and so far I'm not having any problems.

Could it be a JRE issue, or lack of a java runtime installed?

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Handruin said:
I just installed this a few minutes ago to try it out and so far I'm not having any problems.

Could it be a JRE issue, or lack of a java runtime installed?

I do get a window where stuff is displayed but I can not click on anything. I get an icon when alt+tabbing but when selected no window appears. When right-click closing the window I get the box tells me it is not responding and that asks me if I want to kill it dead.

Whoa, now it's working. Does it just take a really long time (1-2 min) to start up? JRE?

Handruin

Administrator
Mine takes about 5-7 seconds...I don't get the little java icon in my task bar, so my JRE theory is out the window.

Handruin

Administrator
exactly...no coffee cup when I launch firebird.

It takes firebird about 3 seconds to open, and about 5-10 to fully load a page depending on internet traffic.

SteveC

Storage is cool
Howell said:
Well, I decided to give it a go. Firebird is installed but when I start it it stops responding. :(

Any ideas?

Which build are you using? I have the June 3rd one, which has work very well for me. It should only take a few seconds to start up, and you don't need to have the JRE installed to use it.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
blakerwry said:
Question on firebird.... when I goto a website it has an icon for that website on the tab at the top... when I bookmark the site, sometimes the image apears next to the bookmark, sometimes it doesn't.... sometimes it just takes a while...

How can I get the image to consistantly apear next to the bookmark on the bookmarks toolbar? (currently I have 7 sites up there and only titanTV and SF have images next to the bookmark when 3 additional sites sites should have icons)

pictures in the bookmark toolbar still get lost every once in a while, they come back when I visit the site. Anybody else have the same problem?