Verizon Phone suggestions???

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Hi
My phone is up, and I am looking for a new one. Verizon deal is pretty good, but, the phone sucks. Need a big LCD, bad eyes at reading distance.

David has ideas I don't even know about.

I'd like a phone with datebook on computer, phone, and Palmpilot.

Any ideas?

s

Adcadet

Storage Freak
you want X, Y, Z....and PalmOS? Pretty sure that just leaves the Treo 600 and 650. Maybe a 700-non-W down the road (prototype here).

Or did you mean you want X, Y, Z...and PDA? There are lots more PocketPC phones out there.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Adcadet said:
you want X, Y, Z....and PalmOS? Pretty sure that just leaves the Treo 600 and 650. Maybe a 700-non-W down the road (prototype here).

Or did you mean you want X, Y, Z...and PDA? There are lots more PocketPC phones out there.

Those look really cool, but, very expensive. How do you hotsync to your computer, and, how do you setup blue tooth, or WIFI, if the phone doesn't have the drivers?

GS

Adcadet

Storage Freak
The answer to both questions is The Force.

I haven't seen a Treo sync before, but my two palm pilots sync by USB after installing the software on the PC, and my Tungsten C can sync by Wifi after going through a tiny little setup (takes 15 seconds) - no need to do anything to the Palm. The drivers, or whatever they're called in PalmOS, are already loaded.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Wonder if you can sync the Treo using USB? Probably so, but, with Verizon,you never know...

S

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Santilli said:
Wonder if you can sync the Treo using USB? Probably so, but, with Verizon,you never know...

S
I would be shocked if you couldn't out of the box. But Verizon does have a habit of crippling their phones.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Yes, they make you pay an additional 10 bucks or so a month, so you can upload photos, taken with your camera phone, rather then just being able to connect with a USB cable, and load the pictures to your computer.

I think my plan is up, like this week, and, anyone have suggestions for a better service, in NORCAL? Problem with Verizion is they have an excellent reception base...

S

Adcadet

Storage Freak
I thought most of their phones were hackable to get around the VZW stupidity. Perhaps the Treo 650 does as well.

I'm stuck with VZW here - they have the best signal, and the most decentish rates for my level of use. Wish there was another good choice for my wife and I.

Sol

Storage is cool
I have a PocketPC based phone for one of the accounts I work on... It's a thing of horror, it crashes occationally, syncing is a matter of luck as much as any other factor and if the battery goes flat you have to reinstall everything from scratch (or your last backup... Although my last backup decided it was for a different device and didn't load...).

Treos probably cost a bit more than their windows counterparts, and thier lack of handwriting recognition definately put me off, but nothing can be worse than a phone running windows... Well nothing without six inch claws and a hunger for human flesh anyway...

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I support approximately 15-25 pocketPC based Verizon phones across 5-10 customers. I like them much,much,much better than the palm based Treos.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Howell said:
I support approximately 15-25 pocketPC based Verizon phones across 5-10 customers. I like them much,much,much better than the palm based Treos.

Why? What's wrong with the treos???

s

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Er... aren't the newest Treos PocketPC-based anyway?

Personally, I don't think I could stand carrying around a Cell phone that big and chunky. Hell, I can barely stand to carry around a cell phone as it is, but those things aren't that comfortable to hold up and talk on, and I don't think wearing an earpiece is comfortable either.

Yuck.