Very Nice Home Theater

freeborn

Learning Storage Performance
All I can say is wow!

I love the lazy boy theatre seats and the total immersion of the fixtures in that room.

I want one, but I won't pay for it :)

Free

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Well, the amp, sound processor and projector come to a retail price of about $18,000...

All I can say is, I'm getting there.

.Nut

Learning Storage Performance
Actually, I find the place to be a just a bit too damn annoying for my tastes.

If it were suddenly mine, I'd probably start off putting my sidekicks to good use by practicing on those paper mâché columns.

Handruin

Administrator
That theater is a bit over the top for me, I have more conservative taste (but I liked the ceilings). However, I think they did a good job if you're into that type of decor. That projecter is mega expensive...and, marantz has one more than twice the price of that one for a smashing $38,000.

VP10S1_prod_large.gif

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
nice gear and setup, shame about the horrid decor... is it supposed to be a representation of a well known cinema? (the only well known US cinema I've been in is Grauman's and that's not how I remember it...)

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Horribly gaudy. I don't know how they can live with that on a daily basis.

For projection, I would like a Sony Qualia projector with the SRXD tech. A little less than $38,000 as well.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
That Marantz is certainly a nice peice of kit, and the Sony nicer again but for some $8k less than the Marantz you can have Digi Projection's Mercury HD. With 3DLP, 1600ANSI and 4000:1, it outshines and darkens both the Marantz and Sony. It's network connectivity doesn't go against it either :) Spec sheet here (845KB PDF)

I'd love to see a comparison between a Sony Qualia 004 and Mercury HD!

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Qualia 004 - 1920*1080
Mercury HD - 1280*720

I know which one I want :)

Tho $3K for a Qualia Xenon bulb is quite breathtaking, same price as the lenses.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
Personally I see very little difference bewteen true 720p and true 1080i and only few times have I seen what I thought was a difference. Admittedly my experience is limited, being only to our 32" CRT and on the two true HD projectors I've seen.

Indeed the Sony has the better res but res is only part of the picture quality story. Without knowing much about the Sony Qualia (only 'net reviews etc) I'll still venture to suggest that Digi Projection's expertise in DLP and theatre lenses would have the Mercury design still with the edge in colour stabilty & response and lens projection, both of which factor in majorly when creating a superb digital motion image.

But who knows (I don't!) an overall comparison between the two might come down to their scalers instead. Either way, I'd would be very happy to be lucky enough to have either one of them :)