Video Recording problems

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I ripped a movie using Dvdshrink to an ISO file on a Raptor hard drive. I then used Nero to burn the DVD. The DVD is a double layer Memorex so I didn't do any compression when I made the ISO.
But, I get dropped frames and sound when I play back the video.
I repeated the process only this time I used DVD Decrypter, but I got the same result...dropped frames and sound.

Any suggestions??

These double layer DVDs are too expensive to keep experimenting.

[P4, 3.4GHz, 2GB RAMM, Sony burner]

Thanks, :mrgrn:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
There are known issues with misplacing the layer break between DVD-9s and pressed DVDs.
In the past I've used DVD Decrypter and had it work, but I've only made DVD9s a couple times.

If you mount your ISO with Daemon Tools or the like, can you play your disc?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
What version of Nero are you using? I believe in version 7 and above it places the layer break automatically at a chapter change? I remember reading that was a new feature somewhere. Not sure, I haven't done much experimentation with dual layer.

Also I assume you are playing this back on your computer using the DVD burner?

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
This is being played back on a DVD player for a TV.

It looks like DVDShrink is the culprit. It hasn't been updated in a while.
DVD Decrypter seems to work.

I'm using Nero 6 with all the updates now. The first burn was done with EZ CD and the second with Nero 6 without the updates.

The DVD I just burned seems to work okay, but I didn't watch the whole thing.

I'm searching for a firmware update for my DVD burner now.

I'll look into Nero 7

Thanks,

Bozo :mrgrn:

Stereodude

Not really a
Bozo said:
This is being played back on a DVD player for a TV.

It looks like DVDShrink is the culprit. It hasn't been updated in a while.
DVD Decrypter seems to work.

I'm using Nero 6 with all the updates now. The first burn was done with EZ CD and the second with Nero 6 without the updates.

The DVD I just burned seems to work okay, but I didn't watch the whole thing.

I'm searching for a firmware update for my DVD burner now.

I'll look into Nero 7

Thanks,

Bozo :mrgrn:
Just DVD Decrypter and make sure you use the .mds file while burning.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I mainly only use DVD decryptor, FYI it hit end of life at 3.5.4.0 when they got sued (Sony I think) and shut down. I also used DVD shrink 3.1 (old) just fine to fit to a single layer disk when I didn't care about quality, it's fast and easy. Otherwise I am using the big three method (DoItFast/CinemaCraft/Senarist) to get them down to 4.3gig. DVD decryptor is going to be the superior program for getting that data off the disk and onto an image. I would recommend Nero 7 for dual layer burning at this time but check out their site to see when they implemented that automatic positioning of the layer break feature. I'm not on dual layer yet, probably have 80 DVD-R's still.

Because you are playing back on a set top player I will relay my experiences with a Panasonic DVD-RP56 (secretly had the Sage/Faroudja chipset for a really good deinterlace). This player was very picky with the media I fed it with, and media that it was rather unhappy about reading would sometimes be OK if burnt at a slower speed like 4x instead of 8x or 12x. The failure mode was it would play back jerky (I guess that's dropped frames?) and would progressively get worse / stop playing entirely toward the end of the disk. This sounds like what you are seeing? I think it got worse because of the way the disk was burnt with the burners stepping up their speed throught the disk. At any rate even if you think you have success, skip to the credits at the end of the movie and if that plays fine you are good. This looks to be where you are now, with a picky player.

Unfortunately I think you are going to have to try to drop your burn speed if you can and try different media. I have no experience with DL media but for single layer I found my player liked Yaiyo Yuden (SP?) the best, was able to burn that at 8x. In your position I was not truly happy until I replaced my set top player.

My quick review of the DVD players I have owned:
Panasonic DVD-RP56 - Excellent picture thanks to Sage/Faroudja chipset, component output very good. Mine had difficulty with burnt media.
Phillips DVP642 - Plays Divx and lots of other standards. Reads ANY disk you throw at it, even stuff I dug out of the wastebasket from the RP56 days. Component quality not suitable for a screen over 30" in my opinion. The remote blows in ergonomics (no eject to boot) and was not learn-able by my universal remote so I was stuck with it.
Zenith DVB318 - DVI or component out, with firmware updates available for even better quality. Has the new Sage/Faroudja chipset (now totally sold on these guys). This is an upconverting player, and while my TV does it's own upconversion if necessary the upconversion on this at 1080i is superior. Been out for a while, should be easy to find.

A couple links for further info:
http://www.avsforum.com/
http://www.doom9.org/ <-- Will help a lot with the backup process and the programs you are using.

Jeezum crow that was a lot of typing, peace out.

Mercutio

FWIW, I like DVD Shrink a lot, but lately I've been using DVD Decrypter + Nero Recode. Recode 2-pass is faster than Shrink+Deep Analysis (it supports multithreading and therefore flies on an X2), and I think the video quality is somewhat better as well.

I have heard nice things about CloneDVD as well.

Stereodude

Not really a
Mercutio said:
FWIW, I like DVD Shrink a lot, but lately I've been using DVD Decrypter + Nero Recode. Recode 2-pass is faster than Shrink+Deep Analysis (it supports multithreading and therefore flies on an X2), and I think the video quality is somewhat better as well.

As of a few months ago when I tested them Recode has identical quality as Shrink (not very good). It just runs quite a bit faster.

CloneDVD and DVD2One (1.52) had better image quality than Recode/Shrink, and Pinnacle Instant Copy 8 was the worst. I found that recompressing with CCE does not offer very good image quality either for as touted as it is. In most test cases I found that DVD2One had better image quality than CCE. I did find that TMPGenc offered better quality than CCE for recompressing, but it is much, much slower.

Stereodude

Not really a
MaxBurn said:
I mainly only use DVD decryptor, FYI it hit end of life at 3.5.4.0 when they got sued (Sony I think) and shut down.
It was actually Macrovision. They claimed he reverse engineered their IP or something to that effect.

A good DVD player to look at is the Oppo Digital OPDV971H http://www.oppodigital.com/ It has the best implementation of the Faroudja DCDi of any player made regardless of price.

Mercutio

Stereodude said:
As of a few months ago when I tested them Recode has identical quality as Shrink (not very good). It just runs quite a bit faster.
[/quote]

Have you looked at the version that comes with Nero7? That's the basis for my statement. I looked at two frames side-by-side (both recoded from the DVD of "Serenity") and could see some fairly distinct differences in the amount of blockiness of a dark region on-screen.

Stereodude

Not really a
Mercutio said:
Have you looked at the version that comes with Nero7? That's the basis for my statement. I looked at two frames side-by-side (both recoded from the DVD of "Serenity") and could see some fairly distinct differences in the amount of blockiness of a dark region on-screen.
I have not looked at the version that comes with Nero 7. I was using Recode 2.something that was the latest before 7 came out.