Vista x64 media

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
It appears from this page that you can get free x64 media under certain circumstances:

If you bought Windows Vista Home Basic, Home Premium, or Business as a retail, packaged product, and you would like a DVD of 64-bit software media to install on your PC, please choose your language:

Or can I also convert over to x64, including receiving media, even though my codes are OEM?

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Also, there seem to be some implications that if x32 Vista works OK then x64 Vista will work fine on my laptop driver wise (ie, there is not a separate compatibility list that I can find). True?

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
My understanding is that your license key is for the respective version of Vista, irrespective of whether you are running x86 or x64 implementations. So, yes, the same key can be used for either implementation.

Just please be aware, there is no upgrade option from x86 to x64, you can only do a clean install, which is what I would recommend anyway.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Yes I also bought a copy of x64 vista media from MSFT for the price of shipping, I guess you could technically say it is free. This is the most "correct" and "legal" way to go about getting x64 for vista other than going to Ultimate which suposedly includes that DVD. The site uses a license key check, most likely to determine which DVD to send you or to weed out OEM clients and send them to the system builder.

Tip: spring for the faster shipping.

The good: I got my x64 media.

The Bad: It took around seven weeks. Temporarily "lost" by carrier.

The ugly: Due to only shipping the DVD in a sleeve somehow dirt got in and scratched up the DVD. Mostly with a good drive and some furniture polish I can get the disk to work.

The stupid: The warez version of the legit x64 ISO worked within an hour of hitting download. But hey, now I have a useless DVD of the same thing I only paid like $10 for.

IMO you want to look for an "untouched" retail version ISO through the usual channels, it gets you on your feet quicker but it carries a minimum standard warez risk and is sort of in the grey area legality wise as the licensing terms states something about the key and the hologram disk together forming your license.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Or can I also convert over to x64, including receiving media, even though my codes are OEM?

I think that is your problem. Go ahead and fill out the key on their site, you don't pay for several more steps. I bet the site will tell you to go to your system builder as you have an OEM key.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
MSDN/MSDNAA/Action Pack subs list product keys for Home Basic/Home Premium/Business/Ultimate without regard for x86/x64.

If somebody needs an .ISO, just shoot me a message and I'll plop it up on FTP.
You're on your own for a key, though.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Also, there seem to be some implications that if x32 Vista works OK then x64 Vista will work fine on my laptop driver wise (ie, there is not a separate compatibility list that I can find). True?

If you're using drivers that are on the install media, then no difference.

It's only when you need to start downloading drivers from manufacturers websites that things get tricky...