VPN client behind a router

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I've noticed that lots of people have trouble getting VPN client software to work behind a router. Unfortunately, that now includes me. :(

I could have sworn that I was successful with this Netgear WG624 about two months ago, but I'm starting to think maybe I went around it for the test. :(

I've forwarded UDP on port 500 (it's IPSec), tried nominating the workstation as a DMZ, disabled SPI - all to no avail. I had upgraded the firmware, so I downgraded, but that didn't help either. I think it's failing during phase two.

What's your experience been? Particularly with Netgear ...

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
The 624 I had worked fine VPNing in to work. The coworker I sold it to when I bought my 634 is still using it for VPN. The 634 works fine as well. SPI is enabled. No other special configuration settings come to mind.

Some VPNs don't like having a NATed address. I think it's more a VPN concentrator thing vs. VPN client. Ours is talking to either a Cisco or Nokia box at the moment.

Handruin

Administrator
My work's VPN has no problems with my Netgear WGT624 (which I believe is also Cisco). We have an option for NAT, and I didn't have to make any special changes to the ports.