WD2000JB $219 (+tax) WD1800JB $189 (+tax) thru 12/24/02

Stereodude

Not really a
CompUSA has a sale from 12/22 to 12/24 on the WD2000JB for $219 after rebate (+tax) and the WD1800JB for $189 after rebate (+tax). It looks like the WD2000JB is sold out online, but I got one today in store. The WD1800JB is still shown in stock online. There were quite a few of both in several of the stores near me.

WD1800JB
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=298537&csearch=1&cmid=gosku

WD2000JB
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=298819&csearch=1&cmid=gosku

Stereodude

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Great deals, thanks Stereodude.

Mfr. rebates <shutter>

Why can't they give me the rebate up front like my distributor does? :)

Stereodude

Not really a
Buck said:
Great deals, thanks Stereodude.

Mfr. rebates <shutter>

Why can't they give me the rebate up front like my distributor does? :)
I'm not a big fan or rebates myself. They rely on the rebate to get you to buy the item, then they have a really short window to send it in and rely on the fact that most people won't send it in.

Stereodude

Stereodude

Not really a
I probably should point out that I've had good luck with rebates in general. I know there are some people who swear up and down that they never get any rebates and I don't understand how that happens unless they have illegible handwriting.

Stereodude

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Stereodude said:
I probably should point out that I've had good luck with rebates in general. I know there are some people who swear up and down that they never get any rebates and I don't understand how that happens unless they have illegible handwriting.

Stereodude

True. My experience is that they carefully forget about your rebate until you call up and remind them. Then it suddenly arrives. But besides that, it has been okay.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Buck said:
Stereodude said:

Stereodude

True. My experience is that they carefully forget about your rebate until you call up and remind them. Then it suddenly arrives. But besides that, it has been okay.

I had a small rebate show up after I had completely forgotten about it. 6-7 months later.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I for one have had pretty bad luck with rebates....

1st one was half off a stick of 8mb fast page RAM(PNY or Kingston).... this was worth $50 easily at the time... Best Buy didn't have the rebate form in stock and gave us a "rain check" or something a rather... but they never got the rebate form and I never saw the money...

2nd time was on a box of Memorex floppies(at best buy)... they were supposed to be "free after rebate" but I never saw that money either... $20-$25

3rd time was again at best buy.... something like $20 off a Zip drive... I sent in the rebate and UPC... but the rebate never showed up... I didn't bother to call IOmega

3rd time was at microcenter when I bought an ATi TV wonder... that rebate arrived within just a few weeks... something like $10

4th time was on a pack of FUJI film CD-R's(bets buy)... the rebate took 2-3 months instead of 2-3 weeks, but I eventually got it... another $10

So I have been jipped repeatedly by best buy.. the only reason I got the Fuji CD-R's is because I had a gift card I was meaning to empty and the CD-R's were a good deal without the rebate (~$0.25 each)

The ATi, Fuji, and Zip drive rebates were all manufacturer's rebates if I remember correctly(ATi and Fuji for sure)

Personally, I think rebates are mostly a scam so that companies can get your money and then claim that you either (1) never sent in a rebate (2) you failed to fully comply with the rebate's terms or (3) that the rebate must have gotten lost... and then there are the people that probably never send in the rebate at all....

I wish that manufacturers would just use coupons and that you could take the coupon to the store and get instant gratification... leaving it up to the retailer to send in the coupon and quibble with the manufacturer if there was a problem.