web spider tool

Adcadet

Storage Freak
hey guys,
I'm involved in a projects where we want to take a bunch of material from the internet and put it on CD for our students to use offline (all for academic use, no copyright violations). Saving all the HTML files by hand is really getting to the old wrists (and is taking forever), so I was hoping to find a decent web spider tool. I just want to point it to a website and have it download all the linked pages. Does such a tool exist?

Thanks,
Adcadet

Adcadet

Storage Freak
holy cow Merc! Double bonus points for not only a great, easy to use tool, but one that plugs directly into my new favorite browser. If you're ever in Minneapolis and need....um....student-level medical care.....er, no.....a beer, look me up! You just saved me DAYS.

Thanks again!
Adcadet

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Have you decided on a specialization yet, AD? What rotations do you have coming up?

As far as things go, I wouldn't turn down a dozen or so sample boxes of Zoloft... you wouldn't believe how much that crap costs me. :|

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Far from it. I'm at the very end of my first year. We've done gross anatomy, biochemistry/cellular biology, histology, genetics, nutrition, intro to clinical medicine (histories & physicals), micro, neuroscience, physiology. We're now just beginning a 6-week summer semester (general path, general pharm, behavior, sexuality). All of year 2 is organ system-based pathophysiology+pathology+pharmacology.

Rotations start third year. You have to decide what you want to do (residency-wise) middle of your fourth year. So far I've only really seen colorectal surgery (don't like surgery in general), perinatal medicine (ok but not great), general internal medicine (OK), and critical care medicine (love it). I'm spending the summer doing a research project on pharmacoepidemiology (using my MPH background, which is probably why you were thinking I'm older than I am) in the ICU. I'm also the president of the Internal Medicine Interest Group (www.student.med.umn.edu/IMIG - and yes, the web design needs work. That's coming soon). The other specialties that I'm interested in is cardiology (love the physiology) and anesthesiology (love da drugs, but I'm not sure being in the OR all the time is fun).

So the tentative plan has me doing a 3 year internal medicine residency, then I can choose to further specialize - probably either Pulmonology/Critical Care med is 3 years (the most common and perhaps best training for ICU docs), or cardiology (3 years). But who knows? I have over 2 years to decide. Let's see...that will have me going through 4 years undergrad, 2 years MPH, 4 years MD, 3 years IM, and 3 years Pulm/CCM for a grand total of 16 years. And for what? An average salary of around $220K/year (for pulm/CCM) or $300K (cards). Medicine is definitely not where the money is. But at least I'll love what I do.

I see Zoloft at $69-73/30 tablets (depending on amount), and the dosing is qd (4 times/day - holy cow!) = $280/month. Ouch. Even with decent Rx drug coverage I could still see that coming out to $80/month. Strange, all the older SSRI's run at nearly the same cost.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I think it's like $320/month for me. I might be wrong, but it's something like that. All out of pocket. Insurance that covers mental health needs is stratospherically expensive. Which is why I asked about samples. :)
(Note: Anyone wonder why I work a lot? $300/month could get me a decent German car!)

Watch out for Pharmacology. I remember Amy filling up 12 5-subject college ruled notebooks just for that one class. What a nightmare.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Toxicology is a heck of a lot more fun. Now we're talking about chemicals that people *didn't* intend to take.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
at least in acute care, most OD's are probably on stuff people intended to take (attempted suicide, or accidental overdose on a legit med). The vast majority of my days in the ICU I've seen 1-2 acetominophen OD's (we get them since we do liver transplants).

I'm interested in tox, but it's hard to make a career out of it for an MD. First, there's just not enough volume to exclusively do tox. Most formal tox programs are fellowships off of emergency medicine or occupational health (both of which I don't think I like).

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Well, all of the toxicologists that I know have PhDs or PharmDs, so a medical degree is probably not the path there. Given, it's a lot easier to become a toxicologist than a medical doctor....

Adcadet

Storage Freak
there are pros and cons to each. But yeah, if I only wanted to do tox I probably chose the wrong path.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
it's all about having enough patients. From what I've seen and heard, there definitely is a demand for peds cardiology, even in medium-sized cities (like St. Cloud, Minnesota, pop 50-60K). There is rarely a full-time toxicologist (MD) at even large cities (i.e.-Minneapolis, MN). Many people "do" toxicology (i.e.-the acetominophen OD will be seen by the ED doc, then transfered to the ICU and seen by a critical care doc, and maybe be evaluated by a transplant surgeon) - no need for an MD specifically trained in toxicology at the fellowship level.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Howell said:
Adcadet said:
I'm interested in tox, but it's hard to make a career out of it for an MD.

More difficult than ped cardiology?

in the above I'm only talking about ease of making it a full-time career, and not the difficulty or length of the training.