Weird Storage-Related Ideas

Explorer

Learning Storage Performance

• 1.)
    Take old failed/unwanted and nowadays cheaper-than-bricks 5.25-inch full-height hard drives and use them as bricks for building walls. I wonder what a wall comprised of these large hard drives and ordinary bricking mortar would look like?

2.)
    Western Digi would be a good candidate for this:
    Have a limited edition hard drive with a gold plated drive housing (faux gold plating would suffice), with the signatures of all the engineering staff that was responsible for creating that particular drive model.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Explorer said:

• 1.)
    Take old failed/unwanted and nowadays cheaper-than-bricks 5.25-inch full-height hard drives and use them as bricks for building walls. I wonder what a wall comprised of these large hard drives and ordinary bricking mortar would look like?

• Assuming you could find enough of them the wall would probably be stronger than bricks. Of course, aluminum is an excellent conductor of heat so you might have the first R0 wall in history.

Mickey

Learning Storage Performance
Explorer said:

• 2.)
    Western Digi would be a good candidate for this:
    Have a limited edition hard drive with a gold plated drive housing (faux gold plating would suffice), with the signatures of all the engineering staff that was responsible for creating that particular drive model.
That'd be totally cool. I wonder how small the writing would have to be to fit everyone's name, though. >100 names would certainly be problematic.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
just a few thoughts...

1) you could have somebody dress up like a hdd and stand outside the store with a big sign advertising your disks.

2) I'm sure somebodies made sculpture from old media...

3) mount a fan to the spindle motor of a hdd and use the HDD to cool your PC...