What type of WD BB HDD drive do I have?

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
i picked up a WD200BB Caviar yesterday. these are a 20GB drive as most of you know. i thought i'd read SR's reviews and compare it to some other drives but they haven't reviewed this drive. no worries i thought, just pick another drive in the family but i found that all the differnet BB series Caviar drives differ in platter density. how do i tell what platter size this drive has? SR's data is as follows:

Drive - platter size
WD400BB - 20GB (reviewed Sep 2000)
WD8000BB - 27GB (reviewed May 2001)
WD1000BB - 33GB (reviewed Aug 2001)

the drive i have was manufactured in August '02. being that's it's only 20GB it would seem logical it uses a single 20GB platter. what i would like to know is, is that logical presumption correct?

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
I'm pretty sure the original ones had 20gb platters (I had one for a short while) but maybe they've upgraded to 40gb platters meanwhile?

I think Mickey on SR would be your best bet :wink:

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
yeti: i haven't installed the drive so i can't benchmark it

buck: WD200BB - 00CAA1

i'm trying to choose which is the best HDD to boot XP off from. i want to boot of the fastest drive. my choices are:

40GB Barracuda IV
20Gb Fireball AS
20Gb WD BB

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
thanks Buck! i was hoping that might be the case.

next question; being that it only uses one head, does that mean it only read/writes to one half of the platter and if so, is it likely to be the outer half?

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Tis cool, Jake. I'm still your friend. It's only Tannin that is arguing with you. But Tannin argues with everyone.

(Apart from my natural friendliness, of course, I need you to arrange for me to meet that cute orang friend of yours, name of Slo.)

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
Tea said:
Tis cool, Jake. I'm still your friend. It's only Tannin that is arguing with you. But Tannin argues with everyone.

(Apart from my natural friendliness, of course, I need you to arrange for me to meet that cute orang friend of yours, name of Slo.)

i didn't know i was still arguing with Tannin. i'd like to remain both your friends. i'd much prefer to argue with a friend :p

as for slo, he can be a bit shy at times so you may to lure him out with a display of chest-slapping and ground-thumping but careul, once you've got his attention he'll be keen for some monkey business!

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Ohh, don't worry about Tannin, he's just a grumpy person. He even argues with me! But as for monkey business, I'm a little retarded in that department. DB seems to want to teach it too me but I'm not sure I want to lean it just yet. Does it have something to do with lying under the bar and pouring Coopers Pale Ale over your face?

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
Buck, how were you able to verify that my drive has a 40gb platter? is it because WD1200BB drives have a 00CAA1 model # and all 00CAA1's have 40GB platters or do you have a reference page i can look up too?

cheers

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
When it comes to Western Digital, Buck knows all. He has secret, arcane sources of knowledge which he is sworn not to reveal on pain of a particularly elaborate form of death, or the ninth burbon. (Whichever comes first.)

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Tea said:
When it comes to Western Digital, Buck knows all. He has secret, arcane sources of knowledge which he is sworn not to reveal on pain of a particularly elaborate form of death, or the ninth burbon. (Whichever comes first.)
:eek:

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Tea said:
When it comes to Western Digital, Buck knows all. He has secret, arcane sources of knowledge which he is sworn not to reveal on pain of a particularly elaborate form of . . .

What she said, and no, it is not a guess.