What's a .sig file?... not related to those used with email

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
So I'm about to try the latest version of kerio personal firewall. However, I notice in that d/l directory that there is a ".sig" file accompanying each new version released since Aug 18th.

Now before I install kpf, I would love to figure out what the .sig file is for. Although I imagine that it is some sort of checksum, I can't figure out how to view its contents. The kpf install executable, on the otherhand, yeilds a checksum in my favourite windows MD5 program.

Anyone know what it is?

CK

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Probably some kind of digital signature that you can compare to something on their web site. That would make sense for an application related to security.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
After reading Merc's response, I went back to Kerio's web site and I think I might have figured it out. I discovered that I had completely missed/overlooked the Beta Section.

On that page, when you hover your mouse over the Download link, your given an address of:

"http://download.kerio.cz/dwn/kpf4-en-win.exe"

However if you proceed to click the Download link, your dished up:

...............................................kerio-pf-4.0.6-en-win.exe

So, I'm guessing the server compares the .sig files available in that same directory that I linked earlier, and passes on the most recent file.

CK