Why can't we "pm" ourselves?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I tried to pm myself just to see what it would do...and it worked. Except for people like Tony, I don't see how it can be useful.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I saw I screw up the topic title. It shoould have been : Why can we "pm" ourselves? :oops:

As for my job, I post while I'm working. I need to kill time between the sell/buy of my shares.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I manage my own investments on the stock market and I try to make a living out of it. So far so good, but the last two months have been hard. I also build computer systems every now and then for other people, but not nearly as much as before. I like to quote and assemble PCs, but the technical support with people not knowing enough about computers to use them correctly is killing me. In the future, I plan to select my customers : I'll only sell to people with at least some basis in the way to use a computer. I'll let the others bug Compaq's tech support ;-)

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Middle term, I would say AMD. They are currently pretty low at around 14$ and they usually reach 30$ at a given moment every year. I cannot predict future, so I don't know if they'll do it again this year, but I expect them to do so. Their company is financially healthy and they keep winning a few market share percentage every quarter, I don't see why they wouldn't reach 30$ again this year.

But if they don't, don't bash me. My advice is provided "as is". No warranty and I make mistakes too.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
So what do you think about Cisco? I bought it at 19.80 now it is at 15.00. Wht will come of this?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Hard to tell. The entire communication industry (Nortel/JDS Uniphase/Cisco/Cienna) is stagering these days. I play a bit with Nortel. Last week, the market was mostly on the rise, but NT/CSCO/JDSU/CIEN didn't increase at all. I guess they will end up to increase somewhat in the upcoming two weeks because they'll follow the wave of the rest of the IT titles that should gain value due to the succession of good news of last week, but I don't think the communication companies will increase as much as some others, like ATY and AMD for instance. Their good retail results should help them a lot.

Don't buy NVDA or IBM in the near future. These title are very risky due to the doubts placed on their financial reports' numbers lately. If the FBI finds something wrong in their investigation on them, you'll be screwed.

We'll see, but the near future is filled of mist. If I were you, I wouldn't sell CSCO yet, you don't loose too much on it anyway and I think it's better to wait for now.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Thanks for the advice Coug; I wasn't planning on selling it just yet, as I like to sell above where I bought it at (obviously). It’s not like it’s a crucial investment or anything, I only have maybe $500 in it. OTOH my dad has 1400 shares of CSCO. He always kicks himself for not selling it when it was about $60 a share back in 2000.