why does the acrobat plugin suck so much?

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
why does the Adobe acrobat plugin suck so much?

I mean really... it doesn't exit after i close IE... it takes up 28MB of RAM even when it's not being used... it sometimes has problems with (i guess) bad pdf's causing it to not load/mess up the associated IE window...

I think I should get rid of the stupid plugin and have to select open/save the next time I encounter a pdf file on the web.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Well, at least the window stays open reminding you that it still is open. Even worse are plug-ins or software that remains running in the background even after you have closed all open windows.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
jtr1962 said:
Even worse are plug-ins or software that remains running in the background even after you have closed all open windows.

what do you mean? acrobat has done this to me for years in several computers. Even when there are no active windows using it, it takes up almost 30MB of RAM.

honold

Storage is cool
i always disable the viewing within internet explorer - it takes longer as you have to download the entire pdf before viewing, but all the problems i've had with it were a result of browser integration

Jan Kivar

Learning Storage Performance
Reader's web-integration crashes in two ways (at least...): Either the browser crashes (like Blake said), and when I scroll to the next page too soon, I get document errors, as the next page hasn't been loaded yet. (sometimes the browser seems to hang, as there is the error window under the browser window, and the browser window is not responding. If I kill the browser, Reader still runs, and I have to kill it too (it uses 100% processor time until I kill it))

Blake, try waiting when You've closed the Reader-browser window (or stopped reading the document). The Reader .exe should unload itself from memory in time. (don't know whether a simple press of back-button would do it, or has the entire window have to be closed...)

Which version of Reader are You using? I'm still running 4.05, as the new 5.1 has annoying one second delay whenever I open a document and the Reader is not yet open. With 4.05 the document opens instantly, but with 5.1 the reader does nothing for one second, and then opens the document.

Cheers,

Jan

Jan Kivar

Learning Storage Performance
Jan Kivar said:
Blake, try waiting...

I wonder why there is a space between the "e" and comma? There is none in the code:
Code:
[quote="Jan Kivar"][b]Blake[/b], try waiting...[/quote]

Jan

PS. Blake, your involvement in this message is purely coincidental...

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
honold said:
i always disable the viewing within internet explorer - it takes longer as you have to download the entire pdf before viewing, but all the problems i've had with it were a result of browser integration

How do you disable that?

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
honold said:
Ditto.
I think the problem lies here...