Why is everyone back to the "newbie" status?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Hi,

Up to yesterday and perhaps even up to this morning, there were various ratings for TSF members. I think less than 25 posts were newbie, 26 to ~70 were regular and more than 70 were no life.

Every current forum member is a SR veteran so I don't care about our rating. I just want to know why the earlier rating changed.

What are the plans for the future? Something simple like apprentice and past 20 post = member. Or something more elaborate like the incremental rating SR used to have (junior, apprentice, member, veteran, fixture) before the big forum reshuffle of September (was it September?).

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
It is probably because I asked Handruin if the ratings could be changed to higher numbers....

-Tim

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
If he used the numbers that I proposed, then you are a newbie until 100 posts... then you are a regular member.

-Tim

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
For us it doesn't matter because we don't have a life outside the 'Net and we will all pass 100 posts before next week ;-), but for newer members who will join in case SR closes for good after February 28th, don't you think 100 posts can be a bit too challenging before they get their official "member" title.

Part of the fun to post in forum, at least for some people, is to feel they are part of the community. Having to post 100 messages before being consider a true member will certainly be an obstacle for some. Or a major source of SPAM.

It's not very important, but eventyally, we'll have to discuss that matter more deeply IMHO.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
It's not a big deal, is it?
Might it be bettter to simply stick the post count in with the user profile stuff?

Post count really doesn't matter anyway. Most of us remember the SR rankings and sadly, that's probably how we think of folks at a certain post counts. I'm sure 1000 posts will continue to be significant as well.

Spamming the forums does bear discussion, if for no other reason than the fact that some people on SR are doing it, even now.