Wife's PC pauses during memory check

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Hey gang,
My wife's computer (E7200, Gigabyte EP35-DS3L, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128337) has started to randomly reboot maybe once per day, and it hangs for a long time (5-10 min) during the BIOS screen where it says "memory testing:". It eventually moves on and boots normally. I ran Memtest 86, and it passed 9 tests without a problem. I tried loading the factory "optimized" defaults but it did the same thing. Any idea what's going on? Have you guys seen this before?

Thanks,
Adcadet

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Unplug all your USB stuffs and see if the problem goes away?
Failing that I probably have one of that board floating around. I'll look and see if there's a goofy BIOS setting someplace that might do that.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Re-run memtest overnight and be sure it completes several full passes? I posted some links in the thread Handruin put up on what else you can do to test.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Does it hang after completing the RAM check or at some point during?
If it's after, the next step in POST is to check the CPU, and if THAT is taking 10 minutes that would be highly indicative of a problem.

Actually, no matter what, there's a hardware issue here. Nothing should normally take 10 minutes to POST.

Striker

Learning Storage Performance
I'm wondering if there is a power supply problem. I've seen machines randomly reboot with PS that were failing.

Handruin

Administrator
Even after running numerous tests with memtest, try running primte95 maxed out for a full 24 hours or more without stopping it. See if you can get through without errors.

Try disabling things in the BIOS that you don't absolutely need to boot and see if the problem goes away (USB, RAID controller, ec). If it does, add them back one by one.

Handruin

Administrator
Also, if you want to stop the random reboot and see the error, right click into My Computer and select properties. Open the advanced system properties and uncheck the box that says to automatically restart the system. Next time it happens you'll get to see the blue screen and maybe there will be some info that is useful in there.