Will there be PCI to PCI-E adapters?

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I know there are adapters within PCI express.. for example an x16 to x1 adapter... x16 to x8, etc... even infiniband to PCI-E... but I have not seen a PCI to PCI-E adapter.

My guess is that you'll see them mixed for awhile and then PCI will be limited to maybe 1 or 2 slots at the bottom of the mobo and then eventually disapear.

Atleast it'll be around longer than AGP.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Are we talking about physical adapters or bridge adapters?

PCI-E is already setup to bridge to standard PCI slots (should the implementer so choose). I expect to see mixed-slot monsters to come out first.

A physical adapter would probably be more effort than its worth.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
I was thinking about a physical adapter with a bridge chip within it...something along the lines of an Abit serillel type thingy .... only in this case it would be PCI card into adapter -> adapter into PCI-E slot.

I expect to see mixed-slot monsters to come out first.
Something along what was shown in an Anandtech article a while back.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Given the space limitations, I don't think that a physical adapter is very feasible.

Dïscfärm

Learning Storage Performance
Dïscfärm said:
There will probably be some PCI Express -to- AGP bridges as well.

...for the vendors wanting to unload all their AGP product as they transition over to PCI Express 16x. In other words, an APG slot on a PCI Express chipset'd mobo.

I'd certainly hope not, but we might even see some really ugly examples of this sort of thing coming out of Taiwan for a few months late this year into next, where a PCI Express chipset'd mobo has an AGP slot alongwith a few parallel PCI slots, but no PCI Express expansions slots. Ugg.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
sechs said:
Given the space limitations, I don't think that a physical adapter is very feasible.
Yeah, now that I think about it, if it isn't a low profile PCI card to begin with, then getting the bracket to fit in the back of a case's expansion slots would be next to impossible with pretty much anything but the most tiny of adapters ..... but I won't rule out the possiblity of someone devising an ingeniously engineered solution :D