Win 7 64-bit and legacy apps

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Y'all know I'm planning to build a new system. Want to run win7 64-bit on it. Have some legacy apps I need advice with.

a) A Win 3.1 era app that I still use. The newest OS it'll run on is Win 98. I use it on a W98 guest running in VMWare Workstation ver. 4 on an XP host. The only peripheral it needs is the printer; it sees the printer as a networked printer available on the host. My old printer was an HP LJ6, which had drivers for W98. I doubt my new printer has drivers for W98. I'll probably have to print to a PDF (asuming PDF drivers exist for W98) in the VM and print it from the host.

What's the best way to continue using the program in Win7-64?

b) My scanner. Epson updated the drivers to work in W7-32, but not for 64-bit. Can I just install the 32-bit driver in Win7-64 Pro or higher and expect Win7-64 to run it in "Windows XP Mode" ? Or am I asking for too much since this is not an app but a driver? Should I run XP or Win7-32 in a VM and use the scanner from there? Or should I dual boot W7-64 and XP -- this will also solve problem a)

c) I presume Photoshop CS3 works in W7-64; a quick search indicates that it will.

Thanks.

Handruin

Administrator
Y'all know I'm planning to build a new system. Want to run win7 64-bit on it. Have some legacy apps I need advice with.

a) A Win 3.1 era app that I still use. The newest OS it'll run on is Win 98. I use it on a W98 guest running in VMWare Workstation ver. 4 on an XP host. The only peripheral it needs is the printer; it sees the printer as a networked printer available on the host. My old printer was an HP LJ6, which had drivers for W98. I doubt my new printer has drivers for W98. I'll probably have to print to a PDF (asuming PDF drivers exist for W98) in the VM and print it from the host.

What's the best way to continue using the program in Win7-64?

b) My scanner. Epson updated the drivers to work in W7-32, but not for 64-bit. Can I just install the 32-bit driver in Win7-64 Pro or higher and expect Win7-64 to run it in "Windows XP Mode" ? Or am I asking for too much since this is not an app but a driver? Should I run XP or Win7-32 in a VM and use the scanner from there? Or should I dual boot W7-64 and XP -- this will also solve problem a)

c) I presume Photoshop CS3 works in W7-64; a quick search indicates that it will.

Thanks.

I'm running VMWare workstation 7.x on a Windows 7 64-bit system and it still offers Windows 98 as a VM option. I believe you could continue to migrate your Win98 VM over to your new Win7 64-bit workstation running a Win98 VM.

You will need a 64-bit driver to run in Win 7 64-bit according to Microsoft.

If I'm running a 64-bit version of Windows, do I need 64-bit drivers for my devices?

Yes, all hardware devices need 64-bit drivers to work on a 64-bit version of Windows. Drivers designed for 32-bit versions of Windows won't work on computers running 64-bit versions of Windows.

If you are unsure whether there is a 64-bit driver available for your device, see Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly or go to the device manufacturer's website.

I can't confirm if CS3 works, but given it's a 32-bit application, it should run fine assuming no other compatibility issues.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I have an old wide-format Mustek SCSI scanner that only has drivers for Windows 95. It doesn't even install in Win98.

It works fine in SANE under Linux to this day.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
I have an HP Scanjet 5370C (USB interface) that no has no drivers for Vista or Win7 and I thought I was going to have to throw it away after I switched to Win7 everywhere. However, I found that the Win XP drivers work fine under Win7's XP mode. So I simply use XP-mode whenever I need its use. If your scanner uses the LPT port or a SCSI interface you may need to research if those are exposed in XP-mode for I know not

I even converted my original XP partion (after some manipulation to get the partition size below 64GB) into a VHD and I can run that inside Win7. The biggest flaw of XP-Mode is that it will use only a single core of my quad core processor.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks all for the replies.

a) Handy, I've paid for VMWare workstation three times already (ver 2, upgarde to 3, upgrade to 4), and don't want to pay a fourth time if I can help! Will Virtual PC convert my VMWare guest OS image and run it, anybody know? Or will the free VMWare Player be able to run my Workstation 4 W98 guest OS?

b) Sorry I forgot to mention that my scanner is USB2. If it sucked, I'd just get a new one, but it's really good. I've checked both Epson and Microsoft, and they're both very clear that there is no support in W7-64. Apparently there is a 3rd party that makes sw for scanners for any OS, but that'll cost another $80 that I'd rather not spend. BBB's solution is heartening to hear; I was hoping somebody would confirm that!

I'd appreciate some additional help on item a), please?

Thanks.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I forgot to add that ideally, I just want to move the w98 guest OS to the new environment. Reinstalling w98 and the app, and reconfiguring everything will be such a royal pain that it will be the choice of last resort.

Handruin

Administrator
You could also try reinstalling you licensed version of vmware workstation 4 on Win7 and see if it works fine. You may not need to upgrade that, I just don't know if that older version will work on a newer Windows OS. I also don't see why you couldn't install the latest player and just run with it as-is.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
If you have any issues with your USB drivers for your scanner using XP mode try turning off the Integration features. I found that necessary for my scanner. I forgot to mention that earlier.