Windows 8 going to an app store model only for mobile

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
You can only get apps and drivers via the microsoft store or update. This is a bit of a surprise. I'm still not getting why they want to link the tablet and desktop OS when they are clearly going to be such different animals.

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/12/02/10/1238247/microsoft-details-windows-8-for-arm

Microsoft Details Windows 8 for ARM
Posted by samzenpus on Friday February 10, @08:54AM
from the getting-the-scoop dept.
MrSeb writes
"In an 8,000-word treatise, Steven Sinofksy himself has taken up pen and paper to describe Windows 8 on ARM (WOA) in great detail. There's a lot of good stuff in there, but one point is particularly troubling. Quoting Sinofsky: 'WOA does not support running, emulating, or porting existing x86/64 desktop apps. Code that uses only system or OS services from WinRT can be used within an app and distributed through the Windows Store for both WOA and x86/64. Consumers obtain all [WOA] software, including device drivers, through the Windows Store and Microsoft Update or Windows Update.' It's hard to under-emphasize just how huge a change that is. It's one thing to say that ARM CPUs won't support x86 emulation; something else entirely to split software delivery and installation. Up until now, one of the biggest differences between desktop and mobile operating systems has been the ability to install software. It's true that Microsoft's decision to wall off unapproved software installation is similar to the approach of Android and iOS — but iOS isn't the same thing as OS X. Combining both of these decisions under the 'Windows' brand could be disastrous, not because Microsoft is evil, but because it creates two entirely different user experiences on the basis of which ISA your CPU supports."

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I just realized I should have stuck this in the new mobile section.