Windows 8 install tricks

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
somethings are unavoidable. Like when QuickBooks POS REQUIRES you to install Excel to export to CSV.

ddrueding

Fixture
somethings are unavoidable. Like when QuickBooks POS REQUIRES you to install Excel to export to CSV.

You, too huh? ;)

I'm in the middle of switching to the new version at a couple sites and tying in with the new version of QB Enterprise. Hopefully it will play well enough with the VPN that I can run an instance of QB POS at the admin office and not need to install QB out at the site (like I did 3 versions ago)

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Good luck with that.They don't even recommend v10 run over 802.11. It's nothing to run a couple network drops so I didn't worry too much. With a cell or satellite connection I would go with local install or terminal server.

ddrueding

Fixture
I've already done a local install for the server, but the boss would like to be able to run reports for both the POS (both sites) and QB side from her desk. Previously I had a copy of QB installed on the server at each location that she would remote into, but now it is all being consolidated into their "enterprise" (I don't think that word means what they think it means) product.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Quickbooks is permanently and always completely terrible.
I'm a big believer in QB Online. At least it doesn't fuck up your Windows install when it has problems. I usually tell people to budget for two days of paid time to do a Quickbooks upgrade or new install, even for a simple two-station configuration.

I'm pretty sure that every upgrade version of Window has some kind of clean install path, though I wasn't aware of the specifics for the Windows 8 one.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Dd, you had the right solution already. Even the enterprise version does not support wireless connections to the database. The good news is the worst that can happen is choppy performance until the company file corrupts and you have pay Intuit to recover.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
The strange thing about this technique is that the install asks for the key during install and then fails to work with it until you twiddle in the registry. Seems more broken than intentional.